Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer recommendations

Planer recommendations

I'm soliciting comments and recommendations about purchasing a replacement planer.

Currently I have a delta 13" portable planer. Several months back I lost part of the rubber off of the infeed and outfeed rollers. Last week something popped and the rollers won't turn at all, or the cutterhead. My guess is a sprocket, but I haven't had time to "tear into it".

Anyhow, this seems like the perfect opportunity to "upgrade" , with the wife's approval.

So, my normal woodworking activities are building furniture, although for the last year or so, I've been building cabinets. One right after the other. The 13" planer works for the majority of things I've done. I'd like to step up to a more expensive (read bigger) planer, but the jump to the next level is significant. So unless someone has another suggestion, I guess I'm limiting myself to the "portable" planer market, which includes the newer delta and dewalt models.

So what do you guys think? Blast away as I haven't purchased anything yet. I want the good and the bad as you see it.

Thanks in advance.
    Ron

Ron, I have an even-older Delta 12" planer which I'm beginning to tire of using. I have to engage in all manner of stupid tactics to minimize its unquenching thirst for sniping. I mention this because I too am thinking about possible alternatives, and one such alternative is to keep my "snipemaster" for a while longer and buy a drum sander instead. I'm thinking that I could switch to the drum sander once I get to within 1/32 of the desired thickness and in so doing eliminate the damage done by the "snipemaster." This idea might be worthy of your consideration. Best wishes.

ron, if you`re killing lunchbox planers it`s time to buck-up for cast iron and horsepower...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Nothing specific by brand but watch the used market/dealer for an older planer. Many are built like tanks and do excellent work. And you can save some money for wood too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    Nothing specific by brand but watch the used market/dealer for an older planer. Many are built like tanks and do excellent work. And you can save some money for wood too.
    True but also bear in mind that some of these weigh thousands of pounds and require three phase. Might I suggest an intermediate solution. A 12 inch Parks makes an excellent planer for your use as does an 18 inch oliver 399.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Ron,

In addition to some of the great "Old Arn" out there, you could go down a couple of other tracks that I think represent a good value. New and used, there are 20" and 24" machines with Tersa heads. Machines such as Mini Max, SCMI, and Sac would all do the trick. There are other European brands, but getting parts can be a problem.
    Generally speaking I think Tersa heads with their replaceable blades are the best all-around system. Some people like other systems, but the fact that Martin planers come with Tersa heads puts the whole argument to bed.
    You could also consider jointer-planer combo machines. In this type of machine you'll be looking at 16" with Tersa heads. The best choice here is Mini Max. There are 20" and 24" combo machines available but they are less common and more $.
    Have fun looking at all the different machines.

Regards,
    Phil

Planers are sduch a damm simple maching I submit that you simply decide how much money you can spend and $600.00 to that and get one (used or new) then go buy a spiral carbide insert head with the $6 bills.

PM, General, and Griz are popular. If you are looking at planers at that consumer level you might look at Woodtek. They are cheap and modeled after the other boys. It's a stupidly simple technology relying more on mass than sophistication. You can spend ooodles and never do better than a good old Oliver Babbit bearing machine might offer from the 1940's.

I have a question: Unless you are doing production work needing hundreds of pieces milled the same thickness for any one project - - - - -Why do you need more than 13" across?? I'd get a bigger sander for doors and case work but a planer only needs to be as wide as the largest board you want to plane. If you are making tabletops or casements or doors you won't need more than a 12" planer tops. Even for guitar work a 12" is plenty. It's the asembled products that will need a big sander. At least, that's my thinking. So I am asking that question.

Im very happy w my Delta 13" planer. YESTERDAY,I planed some 4/4 cherry down to 5/16 and worked perfectly. Other than lots of shavings...Sorry yours hasn't worked out..
    Jerry

Such a waste of perfectly good cherry, Had you considered resawing at all? 1/2" and then plane to 5/16", or use it at 7/8" or 13/16". In Canada I'm paying $6.50 bd/ft. Can't afford to turn that into shavings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Ron, any warranty left on it? I run a Delta 13 inch, and love it. I looked into upgrading to the delta 15 inch. I was told by the dealer, that the 13 inch would give a better cut, and that the 15 inch is really made for a cabinet shop,ie. running non stop every day...and what not. makes since to me. I still would like to get into one for the only reason I love spending money on tools! But horse sense tells me that the lunch box is the way to go. I would think it would be something that could be replaced very easily, the parts that went out I mean...Good Luck..
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    Im very happy w my Delta 13" planer. YESTERDAY,I planed some 4/4 cherry down to 5/16 and worked perfectly. Other than lots of shavings...Sorry yours hasn't worked out..
    It's therapy, right?

Next therapy session should be conducted on a good re-saw bandsaw.

Jerry, I have done what you have done, only with different wood and that is why a bandsaw is coming.

I agree with tod and dev.. cast iron or heavy plate steel and hp for the planer

lou

I had the 13" dewalt and upgraded to a 20" 5 hp shopfox. I'm glad I did. I had to take small bites with the lunch box planer and now I can do all my planing in half the time. Also when I glue up 19" panels for the sides to a night stand or chest of drawers I just send it through the 20" planer and comes out nice and flat. BTW I purchased used for less than $1000.00 delivered and feel it has been worth every penny. Its alot quieter also. Just my .02.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Mack and Joe: Yeah, you're both right. My smaller Jet BS could have handled it. But I was in a hurry, knew that planer would handle it in 5-10 minutes. I don't yet have a good fence setup on the BS for resawing. These were small 1 1/2 X 4/4 pcs 18" long to be used for drawer guides (only needed 3) so I didn't waste too much cherry Thanks for your tips and humor Next time, I'll resaw...
    Jerry

I'll vote for a Powermatic Model 100 12"

Solid cast iron construction, plenty of HP, and true industrial planer construction with a Pressure Bar, and Chipbreaker. No longer manufactured, but readily available. The used equip dealer here in town has 2 on the floor. Expect to pay $500 for one that needs some TLC, and around $1000 for one that is perfect. These sold new for $2600 in 1990 when I bought mine...joe