Thread: Another DP question

Another DP question

HI everyone!

Anyone have any experience with this Grizzly DP?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H0626

I kind of like the oscillating feature, I get a sander and a drill press in one unit.

Jay

Hi Jay, I don't have first hand experience but wanted to bump you up to give folks a chance to respond. I have heard it is a very heavy machine for a table top design and folks like it.

Quote Originally Posted by john whittaker
    Hi Jay, I don't have first hand experience but wanted to bump you up to give folks a chance to respond. I have heard it is a very heavy machine for a table top design and folks like it.
    I have it. It is a great drill press. It is also a very heavy drill press that you won't want to be moving around. The physics of a top heavy machine like that are hard to describe. I can move it around by myself, but I am not going to do it any more.

You need a pretty low bench unless you want to use a ladder to change the belts when you adjust the speed. Of course I am 5"5". I have it on a universal stand right now and it is about eight inches higher than the table I am going to build for it.

I was able to find a brand new one for about a hundred dollars less than mentioned in that ad. Of course I had to haul it home. Getting it in the trunk was easy. Worth shopping around though.

I'll bet you will like it. You can't tell it from the picture, but the table tilts also.

If someone knows a good way to attach the chuck key to a drill press, without having it in the way, I'd appreciate that.

Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Klaaren
    I have it. It is a great drill press.

If someone knows a good way to attach the chuck key to a drill press, without having it in the way, I'd appreciate that.

Larry
    Larry, I haven't tried this, but I just had this thought. Take a small, (maybe 1/2" dia Rare Earth Magnet) and epoxy it onto the Chuck key, on the end of it's main shaft, (not the handle rod ), on the opposite end from the little "Cogs", and you could just stick it onto the drill press head or column wherever you want it.

If you try this, let us know if it works.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Klaaren

Larry
    I hang them on the side of the drill press. I got tired of searching for them. Whenever they are used, they are hung back up. I never set them down.

I installed a hook on my Delta drill press. (Its the top section of a gas strut that came from a printer, I just cut it off with a hack saw and bolted it on.) I then tied a stiff piece of cord to the key.

On the table top drill press I just hang it on an existing bolt. I took a piece of string from my string trimmer and threaded it thru an existing hole on the key. I then melted the two ends together to make a loop. This works out really well. One of these days I might modify the delta key!

Frankie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 05-02-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Larry, my DP is a Delta. I also have a Hitachi. I put the key in the top where the belts are, out of the way of course. I always know where it is.

Larry I attach my key with one of Magnetic Retractable Chuck Key Holder from rockler. key is always handy and out of the way.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...2&cookietest=1
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

How have you been Jay? Glad to see that you are still buying tools. I do not mean to get off of your subject, but Larry ask how to attach a chuck key and Norman came up with the magnet idea. I just ran out and grabbed a couple of round magnets that I had and put them between the key and some metal on the drill press and there it stuck. I think that the magnets will be out of the way if installed as instructed by Norman. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!! And cheap also. You can just slap it anywhere you want it.

Jay, if you get the new drill press, let us know how you like it.

Allen

My Grizzly drill press is the G7943, the bench top version of the G7944. Fine machine and I am happy with my choice. I shopped around and, like most Grizzly tools, this came out as the best value on the market. I did make a wrong choice with the bench top model. To do over again it would be a floor model, far more versitile.

Sorry Jay,

I didn't think about diverting the thread. That's a good drill press. I've used the oscillating feature, it works pretty well, but I don't think it's as good as an oscillating sander. You need to fiddle with the table a little bit to use it, which is a little bit of a pain if you only have one or two pieces. Works much better than using the end of my stationary belt sander for curves.

Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    ...I just ran out and grabbed a couple of round magnets that I had and put them between the key and some metal on the drill press and there it stuck. ...
    I've got 3/8" rare earth magnets used for holding different stuff in various locations around the shop. One is on the drill press (for the chuck key), one's on the bandsaw (holding a 14mm end wrench that gets used frequently) and I've got several on the side of a metal cabinet to hold metal rulers, a combination square and a 25' Stanley tape measure.

[we now return to your regularly scheduled drill press thread]

Jay, I've been looking at that same oscillating drill press myself. I can't justify the expense right now, but it'll be a candidate if I ever replace my benchtop drill press.

- Vaughn