Thread: downdraft sanding box

downdraft sanding box

Hi guys,

I'm trying to put together a downdraft sanding box so I can continue with some projects that require hand sanding. The problem is that I don't have a real dust collection system yet, I have the festool 22 vac and a shopvac.

Currently I have built the box carcass, it's 6x24X36. I was thinking of making the inside part of the box with angled sides for the funnel effect through the hole? But with the vacs I have, it seems I don't have enough cfm to get a good uniform suction going if I place the dust port on the long side of the box. I was thinking of attaching the hose directly to the circle opening?

Is that the best way to do this? I'll make something with a better design in the future, but just want to get moving on some of my projects . Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

helen, in my opinion a downdraft table powered by a shop-vac is a waste of time. are you trying to keep the mess down, or are you working with some type of exotic that is causing you to have a allergic reaction? can you work outdoors to solve either problem? if not a simple box fan blowing fresh air on you would help with allergies......just some thoughts....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

hey tod! yeah, i kinda had that feeling after we were doing some tests with the peg board on top . I'm trying to keep the dust down because the fine dust is causing all sorts of bad allergies for me. Hmm...didn't think of the box fan, but that's a great idea :-D, we have a few lying around too.

Helen,
    I’m with tod in thinking that a downdraft table won’t work until you have your full blown (?), cyclone system in.

Re: the box fan idea, I have rigged that many times when welding. What I found most effective was to have the fan pulling air away from me, especially 90° to the side. That way air (dust), does not wrap around one and blow right in one’s face.

Could you set a sanding table with box fan blowing air out the entrance door of your garage/shop, and open the overhead door a few inches for fresh air supply? The doorway above and below the fan could be blocked temporarily with cardboard. You would stand to one side of the table to work.

Helen, I have a downdraft sanding area built into my bench, covering a slightly smaller area than you're aiming for. Even with a 3hp Oneida DC pulling through 7" pipe it doesn't get all the dust on typical sanding jobs. A shopvac is almost certainly not going to do anything actually useful for you.

What *might* be a workable temporary solution is to use it as a very local suction source. Make a funnel - say 8-10" sq at the mouth - to attach to the shopvac hose. Find a way to prop it up right where you are sanding and it should get most of the nasties. I use something like that when sanding away from my bench.
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

thanks Frank and Tim.

Tim, I've been doing that right now Clamping the shopvac hose to the source, I thought it'd be fun to build the sanding table as a project too but it's really probably time for us to upgrade to a real dust collection system

This is about that size. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29795

About half way down the thread. It is hooked up to a 3 HP Dust Gorilla and it works pretty good. Not sure if the angled sides help at all but I figured they can't hurt.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"