Thread: Turning Video

Turning Video

With all the excitement and hoopla lately with the GIS Jet Mini Lathe Sale, and myself getting a "Big" Lathe from Terry Quiram next week, I managed to get my hands on a Video I found very informative. I am new to turning, and the "Bowl Turning with Del Stubbs" Video offers a great insight into turning with the various tools, sharpening, mounting Bowl Blanks to the Lathe, and a lot of other great information. I would recommend this Video to anyone who, like me, is new to turning. I am currently getting a few lessons from my Uncle, and this Lathe thing is WAY more enjoyable than I ever imagined.............I should have bought a Lathe YEARS ago! So far, so good.............no major catastrophies and no injuries, so that is a plus! If you can, check out the Video, I think you will find it helpful. (There are many great Close-up shots where you get a great idea on tool angle and other techniques.) Did I mention that Turning is BIG FUN?

Del's video is one of the best and quite entertaining, too. It was the first one in my library, as a matter of fact. I wish he did more but I heard he went into other directions that did not include turning. If true, that's too bad.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Kevin,

I think that Del made that tape around 1985, it is still my favorite.

His joy of turning almost jump off the screen. I still put in in the VCR on occasion. Mostly when things are going bad.

I do have to pass on this story to you. I went to the AAW Symposium in St. Paul a couple of years ago. During the Banquet I saw this guy that looked really familar to me. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that It was Del. I kind of snuck up to him and realized that he was talking to a guy I know. After the proper introductions, I went on to tell him how much his tape had meant to me, and how much it had helped me along the path. He seemed really surprised to hear that. He said,
    "That old thing" he seemed shocked to hear that people still watched it.

He was truly a great guy, and very humble too.

Dave

Turning Videos

Kevin,

I'll bet the Dell Stubbs video is really great but I have Ken Salibury's video..."Pen Turning with Ken Salibury". We recorded Ken's pen turning demonstration at the 5 Barns Picnic and it's very entertaining as well as informative. Sadly we missed the last couple of minutes of the demo, our battery ran down and we didn't have a spare.

When I can I will post a couple of short clips, the whole show is about 45 minutes so you'll have to wait for the DVD to come out.

I would love to get my hands on a copy of Ken's Pen Turning Video. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Ken, but from what I gather, what a colorful guy! He does amazing work, and his pens are fine stuff. Anyone have any other Video suggestions for a "Greenhorn" turner? I really enjoyed Del's Video................you can learn so much more from the Video format than looking a pictures in a book. I have a couple of Raffin's books on order..............should be a great winter time read!

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Kevin,

I'll bet the Dell Stubbs video is really great but I have Ken Salibury's video..."Pen Turning with Ken Salibury". We recorded Ken's pen turning demonstration at the 5 Barns Picnic and it's very entertaining as well as informative. Sadly we missed the last couple of minutes of the demo, our battery ran down and we didn't have a spare.

When I can I will post a couple of short clips, the whole show is about 45 minutes so you'll have to wait for the DVD to come out.
    Oh Lord !! !! I am not sure anyone would want to watch that
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I would

Keith, put me on the list for one "Pen Making with Ken Salisbury" video.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Kevin,

Just make sure that video gets an appropriate rating put on it. Some people have sensitive ears.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Mike Schwing Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David Peebles
    Hi Kevin,

I do have to pass on this story to you. I went to the AAW Symposium in St. Paul a couple of years ago. During the Banquet I saw this guy that looked really familar to me. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that It was Del. I kind of snuck up to him and realized that he was talking to a guy I know. After the proper introductions, I went on to tell him how much his tape had meant to me, and how much it had helped me along the path. He seemed really surprised to hear that. He said,
    "That old thing" he seemed shocked to hear that people still watched it.

He was truly a great guy, and very humble too.

Dave
    Hey Dave, I have to pass a similar story on to you. Years ago, maybe 6 or 7, I was involved in the making of some videos for cyclists to use while training indoors on a bicycle trainer. They're extremely hardcore workouts geared for Ironman triathletes and professional cyclists. The workouts are called "Spinervals" and the guy who makes them is my coach and lives in my town.

Every time I go to a big race, either a 1/2 or full Ironman, whether as a participant or a spectator, I have people who recognize me.... "Hey man, you're the dude in that Spinervals tape!" or "you're the "Hi Mom" guy from Spinervals" (I did the pro football player "Hi mom" thing to the camera).

One time I was sitting on the bleachers at the Ironman finish line cheering on other finishers after finishing myself, showering, and returning to cheer on the final finishers as the midnight cutoff approached. I had been chatting with and cheering with a couple of other strangers for maybe 2 hours when out of the blue the girl next to me suddenly yells out "I just figured it out! You're the guy in the Spinervals tapes!!!! OMG! My husband is not going to believe I met you. We ride with you every Saturday morning all winter long. I _have_ to get your autograph!"

Its really neat to be recognized like that. And no matter what, I can say "Yes, I have been asked for an autograph." But so has John Hinkley....