Thread: Help with a construction decision?

Help with a construction decision?

I designed this platform todler bed for a friend and need some advice. The feet on the platform are roughly 4" square. I have 2 options that I see...

1. Use solid wood about 1" thick, miter them together and use biscuits or pocket hold screws for joinery ( could also be splines I suppose).

2. Use 3/4" baltic birch ply to build the 4x4 foot, then add 1/8" oak vaneer on all 4 sides.

All trestles will be connected with knock down bed hardware and makes me lean toward option #2...

I've attached 2 pictures of the conceptual design. Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks in advance...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Solid wood. Then you'll have no hassle with veneering.

Or a third option:
    4*4 lumber. It's a toddler bed. Pine is a fine wood choice as they will outgrow it and eventually recycle the lumber into somethig else.
    My little girl's bunkbeds were pine, all huge heavy KD pine, now, 36 years later, it's a workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    Or a third option:
    4*4 lumber. It's a toddler bed. Pine is a fine wood choice as they will outgrow it and eventually recycle the lumber into somethig else.
    My little girl's bunkbeds were pine, all huge heavy KD pine, now, 36 years later, it's a workbench.
    Cliff,

Thanks for the tip. I had thought about it, but I've already built 2 pieces of the little girls bedroom set, all white oak so I'm trying to stick w/the overall theme. Just for grins, I've attached pics of the other 2 pieces... (sorry about the pic quality)
    Attached Images Attached Images

"All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks Mark, I had forgotton about the 2 tables. Very helpfull!

One quick question, why such accurate dimensions,...I dont think I can even see 17/64ths. I assume its the software, or is there a particular reason why?
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Navarro
    One quick question, why such accurate dimensions,...I dont think I can even see 17/64ths. I assume its the software, or is there a particular reason why?
    Just approximates from the software.... I was still learning sketchup when I originaly drew it... I'm much better at it now

Nice design for a "first big girl's bed." I think you nailed it though, anything over 78 17/64ths and you're just asking for trouble!

Does your friend have any other little ones that might use the bed after their big sister? If so, I'd definately go solid wood like you described in option #1.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Harbin
    Nice design for a "first big girl's bed." I think you nailed it though, anything over 78 17/64ths and you're just asking for trouble!
    LOL... my thoughts exactly

Does your friend have any other little ones that might use the bed after their big sister? If so, I'd definately go solid wood like you described in option #1.

Pete
    Actually, yes she's expecting #2 in July so it will be passed down.