Thread: Rikon 14" Bandsaw

Rikon 14" Bandsaw

Have any of you had experience with the Rikon 14" bandsaw. I see that Woodcraft has it marked down to $399 this month. I need it only as a secondary saw to do scroll work on mostly small items. I have a 17" saw for all resawing and any heavy duty stack cutting. I currently use a Delta 10" for this application but it is just not much of a saw. I was planning on ordering the Griz Ultimate 14 but logistics could be a pain since I've gone back to a full time day job. I can be to WC and back in less than an hour. I'd love to hear any feed back, esp. problems you've experienced with this saw. Thanks
    Rob

Since I work at a local Woodcraft store, part time, I have been able to use one of those. Your use of the word SCROLL kind of throws me.

If you are talking about decorative cuts on the edge of things, I'm sure you will be happy with it, but if you plan to do ACTUAL SCROLL SAW Work with it, I don't see how you will get it to do it.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

You may also want to wander over to Sears and check out the Craftsman 14". The reason I suggest this is because it is virtually the same saw as the Rikon you are considering. The only differences are that the Craftsman has 8" of resaw room and cast iron wheels - both pluses. The list price on it is I think $479, but with all the goofy Sears promotions, you should be able to get it close, or perhaps even cheaper than the Rikon. Oh yeah...I've had one for several months now and am very happy with it. Slap a piece of duct tape over the "Craftsman" logo and you're good to go!

Bruce,
    Scroll cuts are when you are cutting curves or designs not "scroll saw" type tight cuts. Basicly my big bandsaw is set with a wide blade to do straight cuts and the little one is used for other cuts. Blade changes take too long on the big saw to keep switching back and forth.
    Brad I don't need 8" worth of resaw. I've got 12" on the bigger saw. The cast iron wheels would be nice.
    Rob

Robert, I can't comment directly on the Rikon 14" but I have the little Rikon 10". I've been happy with its overall quality and performance, see; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25527

I bought it as a backup to my MiniMax and it's proven to be a good investment.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney