Thread: Cedar Spice Rack

Cedar Spice Rack

Here's a little spice rack I made for my wife. All the wood is from the free cedar I got, and the dowel cost $0.76 at HD... She wanted it left unfinished so you can still smell the cedar. The back is 3 thin boards, glued together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is awesome Greg!! It's simple yet elegant, and I think the best thing about it is the price of the materials

Time to contact Penzey's and fill that rack up with some fresh herbs and spices! Nice job on the project, Greg.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Love the simplicity of the design....and the Penzey's store is about a mile from where I am sitting right now (at work). I love that place. It is THE place to go for great herbs and spices. Greg...need something from them? I'll go pick it up at lunch and send it to you!

Jerry...you're correct. Penzey's is wonderful and you are lucky to be close by rather than having to order. Since we discovered them, the only thing that gets bought in the supermarket is the little pepper grinders for table use 'cause I haven't got around to making a new pepper mill.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You to Jim....running low on anything? I'd be glad to have an excuse to go into the store. Walking through the doors and getting the waft of spices just brings me to another level of calm. (Just like walking into the shop to start a new project.)

Thanks for the comments. We do have a few more spices, than those in the pic.....ROF! What makes Penzey's so special? Are their prices comparable with other "Store bought" spices?

As far as price goes...not exactly. They are more expensive, but they taste great. It's a totally personal thing (to me at least). There are some that I can't tell the difference beween store purchased and theirs. It may also have a little to do with local pride. Their home base is this store in Brookfield. I think they do most of the mixing and preparation at this store. I would guess most of the online orders too. For me, it's their specialty spices that I am most intrigued by. I am always up to try something new....so this is one way I have. The gift boxes are a great way to get "feel" of how they are different than the "big guy's".
    Sorry this thread has gotten off track a little bit. I really do like the spice rack...one of the first things LOML asked was to convert the old built-in ironing table thingy in the kitchen (1940 house) into a spice rack. It now has about (7) 2 1/2" deep shelves filled with all our spices.

Now what about...

Great job Greg! You've got me thinking that I need to build a new spice rack to replace ours that's grossly overloaded. BTW, now you need to make a cutting board to replace that Weber board!

Keith

Very nice Greg!

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks