Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turner Interview: John Hart

1. Turner Interview: John Hart

Name: John Hart

DOB: October 27 1958

Physical description (G-rated, please)
    Hmmm....Well, I guess I’m short. (5’ 7”). I’m happy with that by the way. Blonde hair, blue eyes, 155 pounds. That’s pretty much been my description since high school 30 years ago. I don’t know why I haven’t changed…except maybe it’s because I don’t like doughnuts.

Location (for how long, previous locations, etc)
    Hmmm, well, I’ve sorta been around. Born in Kansas, Early childhood in Pennsylvania, High School in Florida and Idaho, did some college drinking at Boise State University, then on to Texas, where the Navy sent me to California, Florida, Alaska, then Hawaii....Stayed in Hawaii for a while after I got out of the Navy, then worked in Washington DC for a while, then came to Cleveland. (By the way...I really don't like Cleveland. Can't wait to get to the country)

Family information (brag on your spouse, kids, grandkids, dog, etc)
    I don’t talk about this much cuz my wife doesn’t like it when I talk about her behind her back. But, I’m going to make an exception here.

I am the sole male in this family. Wife, 2 daughters, Dog, Cat... All female. I lose all arguments and never get time in the bathroom.

Seriously, I am married to a beautiful woman named Mary who has put up with me for something like 15 or 16 years. She’s a devoted mother and a Bible-thumpin’ Christian, devoutly determined to keep me in line. I wish her the best of luck. Mary is the mother of our two beautiful Daughters, Rachel(12) and Elise(10) who never seem to agree on anything and never seem to stop talking. I am secretly training our German Shepherd how to kill cats.(She doesn’t appear to know how)

Mary has been Homeschooling the girls and doing well....But this summer, after we move, they'll be going to a real school. Everyone is excited.

Vocation (what do you do for a living, and what have you done previously):

Right now, I’m the Information Systems Director for a Bio-Chemical company in the Cleveland area. That basically means that I know nothing about chemicals and a bunch of stuff about computer systems....sorta.

Done a handful of different jobs over the years, starting with delivering milk to the front steps of all the houses in our little town in Pennsylvania, then…including, but not limited to:
    Crop Dusting Ground Crew
    Car Stereo Installation
    Printing Press Operator
    House Builder
    Men’s Clothing Sales
    Radio Disc Jockey (KBBK-FM Boise and AFRTS)
    US Navy – (never went to sea)
    CAD operator (Fire and Security Systems)
    Engineering Technician (Aerospace)
    Electronic Engineer (Aerospace)
    I.T. Guy

Website?
    Handykraft.com

Equipment Overview (lathe, tools, etc)
    Scrollsaw
    6” Jointer
    A Slow Speed Grinder
    High speed grinder
    Couple of Drill Presses
    A Big Ol’ Paper Cutter
    Router and Table
    Big old disk and belt sander
    15” Lathe
    An old 10” cast iron Table Saw
    Sawzall
    Hammer
    Some drill bits
    Mixing bowl
    Microscope
    Some wire

How many lathes have (or do) you own? Tell us about 'em.
    I have a 15” Craftsman Lathe (Rated at 2HP, but probably not really). I like it. It is a direct drive, PWM-controlled Toy. It’s not as quiet as I would like it to be, but other than that, it’ll take a big hunk of tree and make a nice vase. (As long as I don’t get too involved)

How many turning tools do you have?
    Dunno. Over 30 I think. There’s a pile of homemade tools, including Bertha and the Ugly Stick, a pile of miniature tools, and over in the girl’s pile, there’s some medium-sized tools. I just got three Pinnacle tools not long ago, a set of Buck something-or-others, Greenlee spindle tools and a wonderful gift from my Secret Santa, a Sorby Hollowmaster. Hmmm....maybe there's 40 tools. I should dig them out of the shavings and count them.

Tell us about your shop
    I have a small basement shop that I built out of a corner of free space one weekend. It’s small and getting smaller every day (8 X 10). I just added a Radial Arm saw and a new(used) Sander to my list of tools, but they have to live out in the garage with the pile of turning blanks and the RX-7. We are moving to more expansive digs this summer, so space is
    about to get much better.

This small shop is my hangout, it is the place where I go to relax. It is truly my only haven. I’ve routed Satellite TV into my computer down there, along with my internet connection. What I really need is a refrigerator and a microwave! Hmmm...Maybe at the new house.

How long turning?
    I’ve been turning approximately 395 days. Didn’t turn on all of those days, but I sure tried.

What got you into turning?
    All of you did it. Really.

5 or 6 years ago, my Dad sent me a check as a gift and told me to buy something for myself that I wouldn’t normally buy. So I bought a lathe. Didn’t know what to do with it and didn’t have any tools. It never occurred to me that there are clubs, books, videos or any of that other stuff...so basically, I was clueless. To make a long story short, I made
    a bat and that was it. Then the lathe sat dormant until last Spring when a newspaper interview with Earl Reid led me to SMC...Then I found this here Turners Forum and y’all. Or is that All Y’all? It was pretty exciting to find out that there are people who actually use that lathe-thing for something other than wood rack and tool holder.

What do you enjoy most about turning?
    The freedom. I kinda look at it in terms of allowing the tree to live again. It is true that all woodworking accomplishes that task, but with Turning, the natural defects that are a part of the tree’s life, are preserved and celebrated...not covered up or cut away. With woodworking, we use trees to build stuff. With Turning, we give the tree new life.

Oh...and one more thing....I really really really enjoy everyone’s company here on SMC. Everything in my life has improved since I found this place. (except the woodshop – It’s dirtier now)

What was your first completed turned project?
    A Bat. As an avid Cleveland Indians fan, I wanted to make a bat for Tom Hamilton, The Voice of the Indians. So I Turned a bat, carved a Trademark in it with an exacto-knife and inlayed a feather in it, made from Ebony, Walnut, Redheart, Yellowheart and Ivory. I mailed the bat to Mr. Hamilton, and he wrote me a nice letter. I’ve long lost the letter and
    wish I had the bat!

What is your favorite form that you turn?
    I like vases and hollowforms...so, I guess my favorite it a combination of the two.

What is your favorite form someone else turns/has turned?
    Well, of course there’s the Stinson/Ketron/Burns HF Standard that we all love, but I’ve really thought about this...I just love the surprise of the newly finished project showing up on my screen. Whether it’s a pen or a handle or a thingamagig...all the way up to the thin-walled Hollow Forms or giant segmented works of art...It is an absolute delight to see what hands have done and what thoughts go through the minds of those who made something by applying steel to wood...and the fun they had while they were doing it...The joy of discovery.

Hmmm...That was a bit long-winded wasn’t it? Ok...I like ‘em all.

What is your favorite wood to work with and why?
    Redwood Burl is my favorite. It really wants to become stuff. It never fights the tools, spins round and round just like it is supposed to, sands like a dream, takes a finish just right, and in the end, comes forth with colossal beauty.

Have you met or hung out with any turnin' Creekers? Tell us about it.
    Well, lets see...I’ve met Charlie Stein, Blake McCully, Earl Reid, Keith Christopher, Joe Tonich, Dick Strauss, Robert Mickley, John Timberlake and Ken Hertzog all pretty much on separate occasions and a variety of different settings. Joe Tonich’s first words were, “You don’t look like your picture”.

What is your favorite individual piece that you have turned, and why?
    A Redwood HF Vase sort of thing. I like it the most because I discovered so much while I turned it. I found out that just about anything can be made from a piece of wood. It has nice figure too!

What is your favorite piece someone else has turned, and why?
    Too many to really pinpoint a single one, but the one I keep going back to is:
    Keith Burns – his Green Haze HF http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30494

Keith seems to have a knack for intricate detail and he shows it off with this piece. But, it’s not just that. He also left a bit of the tree’s original character. I really love this piece.

What do you not turn now that you want to - or plan to - in the future?
    Tall Vases. I gotta figure out how to do that, but I figger that there’s going to be some glue involved.

What brought you to SMC?
    My Brother in Law gave me a newspaper article on the Freedom Pens project.

There was an interview with Earl Reid and it made mention of SMC. At that time, I didn’t even know you could make a pen on a lathe, much less find an entire community that does it. You see, I don’t join Forums. I spend about 60 hours a week in front of a computer, so I’ve never considered it to be very fun. But I took a look at the site anyway. One
    conversation with Ken Fitzgerald, and I was hooked. What goes around comes around, eh Ken?

Got any nicknames? How'd you get it?
    Only one. John. My mother called me that one day, and it stuck.

Now let's get a little deep... If you were a tree, what tree would you
    be and why?
    That would have to be the Texas Live Oak. I love Bonsai (Tree in a Tray) and when I lived in Hawaii, I had a few that I nurtured into some very gnarly, but handsome little trees. The Live Oak grows naturally like the Bonsai that I had. They have so much character that I can sit for hours and run my eyes over the intricate patterns.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Cothren; 05-04-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Joe Tonich’s first words were, “You don’t look like your picture”.

LOL!!!! Remembered that, did ya? LOL!!

Good interview....mebbe one day we can meet a little longer. That lil' time at Rockler just didn't cut it. When I first talked to you, I knew you were 'Top Notch'.
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

Excellent interview John! Glad to get to know a little more about you! But the truth be known....after that conversation you decided the site could use a little more class so you stayed around! And I'm truly honored to call you friend!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hmmm....Well, I guess I’m short. (5’ 7”)

John, I'm 5'7 and I thought I was tall!
    I really enjoy your posts and your advice!

Pete
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

John, loved the interview and hearing the depth and breadth of the experiences you have had that make you what you are. I can sympathize with all the women, I grew up in a house full of 'em. I do have one complaint, the picture of you leaning on the clock or miter saw makes you look so intense and almost foreboding like a middle linebacker or something. I know that you have got to be one of the friendliest and kindest guys on the Creek. That picture doesn't suit the mental image I have of a smiling happy go lucky John Hart that writes so many friendly posts that I like to read.....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Great interview, and nice to know you better. 5'7", that is me also and both my feet reach the ground! You should write a book about all your different jobs. Vert interestion.

Great interview John ! Your work has always been an inspiration as you continually challange all of us with new things. You are a class act and although we have never met face to face (yet) I am proud to call you my friend.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

John great interview. I must say I have learned a lot watching and reading your posts. It has been my pleasure knowing you John and with the wood you sent has made me feel very welcome. I appreciate all you have done for me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice interview John, great to meet ya!

10. Hey John, nice to get to know you better.

I tell you guys, when it comes to secret blank bombing runs, no one is better than Mr. Hart!!

Cheers!

WOW there's more to you than just PURDY STUFF!

Thanks for being here and for letting us see more of what we know is great guy!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

John, I knew I liked you for a reason: I used to be 5'7 and still weigh 'bout
    152 lbs. (Don't laugh, you'll shrink some day too.) I get a kick out of your level of enthusiam when new turnings or ideas are presented on the forum. Don't ever lose that sense of wonder. You have a really great looking family.
    Keep up the good work!
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan
    Hmmm....Well, I guess I’m short. (5’ 7”)

John, I'm 5'7 and I thought I was tall!
    I really enjoy your posts and your advice!

Pete
    Sheesh, John, you almost gave us skyscrapers of 5'7" a complex. Great interview. We're gonna have to do the Berea thing again.

Keep up the great work, and the inspiration as well.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

John,

5' 7"...... from our association and SCM friendship, I figured you to be at least 6' 7". You stand at least that tall in my book

Thanks for a wonderful interview and it is always nice to get to know more about people you admire and look up to. You have been an inspiration to so many, I being one in that elite crowd.

Great interview John!

Having been born and spending my first 18 years just east of Cleveland, I know why you want to move out.

Glad to get to know you better John.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good