Thread: Spray Booth Set Up

Spray Booth Set Up

I just bought a HVLP gun and Turbine set up from Lemmer. I am looking for some advice on how to set up a spray booth in my garage. If I use water-based finish do I have to worry about explosion proof fans and the like? Can anyone point me to some resources on the internet on how to set up the booth?

Thanks
    Harvey Dawe
    Dogberry Designs
    St. Philip's, NL
    Canada

If you use water borne finishes, you don't have to worry about the special fans, and the like. You are mostly concerned with dealing with suspended particulates (which WILL cover everything like fine dust if you don't collect them)...a box fan pointed out the door will work fine for that. I use my regular air filtration in my shop for this purpose as I don't have any form of formal spray booth.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quick and Dirty

Jim's pretty right on, but if you want a booth to keep the waterbourne dust from settling on adjacent machinery, workbenches, etc, you can make one by hanging cheap, thin visquine drop clothes from the ceiling to create a temporary "booth". You can use a fan to gently blow the overspary away. I have a temprary cardboard and 1/2" foil face styrofoam "booth" with a hole cut into the back of booth wall (cardboard) covered by an ac filter. I put my cheapo window box fan in the "pull" mode to draw an air flow through the booth. This could also have a "front" wall with a filtered hole in it for the intake air to flow through, but I damaged that piece years ago and haven't replaced it. I think Michael Dresdner shows some of this "quick and dirty booth design in one of his finishing videos or a book or something. Best of luck.
    David

Jeff Jewitt's second book has a styro board, 3 sided booth, for the garage. Pretty simple up and down sort of thing.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Just for keeping dust off I built a 4'W x 6'H x 3'D knockdown spray booth out of 1x3's and visqueen. It's got 3 sides and a top plus a large sheet of loose visqueen on the top that drops down to close in the front after spraying. The sides and top are made from 1x3 frames pocket screwed together with half-lapped X-braces running from corner to corner. The visqueen was then wrapped around the frames and stapled. The whole thing sets up in about 5 minutes with a handful of screws at the corners. When not in use it hangs suspended from the rafters in my shed by some long bungee cords as the whole stack is pretty light. The visqueen has the added benefit of letting light through too so you can light things up from behind or through the sides of the booth as well as the front.
    Use the fence Luke