Thread: 2nd opinion on cherry lumber, please

2nd opinion on cherry lumber, please

I have had a difficult time finding curly/quilted cherry in my local lumber store so I've been searching for a source online. I was offered the following bundle at $14.95/bf which seem steep to me, but it's been a while since I've found any figured cherry so perhaps this is the going rate. I would feel better if I could get a second (third, fourth, etc) opinion on whether this is a fair price or if I should keep looking. Any pointers on who to contact for quilted cherry would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time,

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's nice cherry, but whether or not it's a fair price does depend a lot on where you are. Around my neck of the woods, I think that'd probably be the going rate for something that figured.

Most folks on this board know I am a cherry kinda guy.

I like the figure in this lot, however, would I pay 14.95 a bd ft?

Short answer, no. Long answer...

What are the widths? They don't seem exceptional to me. Now if they were 15-18 inches wide, you would have my attention.

Yes, the figure is nice, but how much is sapwood? Can you examine each board in person, (I think you said you were buying over the internet.)? It looks like to me that there is a fair amount of sapwood involved. Granted, sapwood in cherry is not a defect, but I am only using sapwood for secondary wood...drawer runners and the like. Would you pay $15 a board foot for a drawer runner? I won't.

If I were to consider paying that much for cherry, it would have to be greater than 15" wide, no knots, beautiful figure, and 100% heartwood, front and back. But, I am probably asking too much.

It's your choice in the end, but I wouldn't pay that much for sapwood. Perhaps you can talk him down a little, if you really must have it. At the very least, get him to turn the boards over to see how much sapwood you are really buying.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

roger, call irion lumber, high quality at a fair price.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I agree with Martin's comments on the boards. You should give Hearne Hardwoods a try. Their stuff is simply extraordinary and he has a fairly nice internet presence. They have a reputation as a supplier of premium hardwoods so you aint gonna get any junk from them. Every time I have been to their yard, they have a ton of boards which have markings to the effect of "sold via internet store" and they, without exception, have been premium boards. It has also been my experience that they stand behind their product so I would not hesitate to buy from them.

Their prices, while not bargain basement, are reasonable. As an example, I was there last weekend and they had a board which was 5/4 cherry, HIGHLY figured, 14+" wide, 8' long, 0" sapwood which was $12.00 per board foot and it was the most expensive board in the bin. I didn't buy it as this board did not deserve to be hacked up into raised panels for a cabinet project.

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/

Another option is Groff & Groff. I have used them in the past with 100% satisfaction. Wonderful people to deal with, very reasonable prices, and they ship. I have faxed orders to them for early morning pickup and when I arrived they order was well prepared and contained only premium boards.

http://www.groffslumber.com/

BTW: No affiliation with either of these yards, simply a very satisfied customer.

Hope it helps . . .

L

Try http://www.curlywoods.com/ in McKinney Texas.
    Have purchased there and they have a wonderful selection of curly cherry.
    Usual disclamer. Not afillated in any way. Just like their wood.
    Just tried their URL and the website would not come up. Hope its just a server problem and not that they are not there any more.

Duan

I agree with the others...that's a bit too high of a price for the widths offered. I'm not saying it's not nice material...it is. But it's not worth $14+ to. IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks!

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinion and especially your sources for figured cherry. It's difficult finding good quality cherry on the "left coast" and even more difficult to assess the going price. I now feel comfortable passing on this bundle and will make a few phone calls on the Monday to the sources listed on this thread.

take care,
    roger

Roger,

All the sources listed are excellent. However, being on the left coast, the shipping is going to be a factor. In these days of high fuel prices, it is going to be expensive.

I am sure you have seen Jason Tuinstra's work. He found some curly cherry somewhere in CA, and might reveal his source. That might save you some shipping costs.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style