Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Built Slot Mortiser finished (PICS)

Shop Built Slot Mortiser finished (PICS)

Well gents, my Slot Mortiser is done. After a bit of testing I show no chatter with my cantilevered design. In fact, having built it in a machine shop, the first test was to pop a .500 end mill in it and cut a mortise into a piece of 6061 aluminum because I had no wood available. Since, I have made a number of test mortises in all different kinds of wood with excellent repeatability. I am very proud of this accomplishment because I had to learn how to use a Bridgeport milling machine before I started. I was lucky enough to have a friend who owns a machine shop, was patient enough to teach me and allowed me to use one of his mills. Well here are some pics.

Guy
    Guy
    <b><i>Master of the Hounds from Hell</i></b>

Whoa Baby!

Guy that is one awesome Milling Machine you have there! Outstanding workmanship too. That baby ought to do the job for you for years and years. I have seen a few home-built rigs for that task, but I don't think I have ever seen on that was Bullit Proof! You should be proud of that, for many reasons besides the fact that you learned to use a Vertical Mill in the process. Nice job........thanks for sharing the pictures! Say..............Old Buddy............you didn't happen to build on for me while you were at it...........did Ya? AWESOME DUDE!

Thumbs up Wow!

Guy that is one impressive looking machine. What is the first project you have ined up for it?
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Cool One word:

Guy, I"m usually one to ramble on, but in this case, what more can I say? AWESOME!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thumbs up

Guy,
    That is one slick looking machine! I really like the tilting table feature. It looks like a well thought out design. How many hours do you have in it?
    One suggestion, to keep that great looking machine looking like new, tear that puppy back apart and have your friend with the machine shop send it to the plating shop. Have it alodined/chromate coated – you do have humidity in New York, right?

Attached is a router mount that I made for my milling machine about ten years ago. It's made out of 6061 T-651, I had it alodined and it still looks like new.

As you go through life, you are going to have many opportunities to keep your mouth shut. Take advantage of all of them. -- James Dent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-30-2003 at 11:22 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Glad my fears were unfounded Guy

Guy,

I'm very happy to learn that my predictions were wrong in this case. Looks like you've got quite the piece of equipment there. It's a lot of fun building stuff in the metal shop too. Just be aware, those tools are not cheap

Now, let's see some projects from that beast.

Dan Barber
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Smile

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all for the kind words. I am probably getting more kudos than I deserve. This is probably proof positive that with the right tools and training anyone can build anything. The milling machine I used had a DRO (digital read out) which made things easy. All I had to do is set a zero reference on a corner of what I was milling using the DRO and then move the milling machine x-y table to the correct dimensions and start milling. I want to say thanks to Dan Barber because his machine was my inspiration and his plans were a big help during fabrication. Here is a picture of the Bridgeport Mill I used and a picture of my buddy and machine shop mentor Larry. We didn't take any photos of me to keep the camera lense intact. Unfortunately the LOML has already said no I can't have one. Maybe she will change her mind someday.

Guy

That looks like one SMOOTH machine! AWESOME!

Bruce,

I will either have it Powder Coated or Alodined; I guess whichever is less expensive. You are right! The humidity here on long Island has been terrible. It has been an ongoing fight this year with surface rust on the stationary power tools. I am already on my second container of Topcote.
    Guy

I thought the term was "anodized". Is that an incorrect term or is "alodined" a different process?

Anodizing - might save some money

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Kowalski
    Bruce,

I will either have it Powder Coated or Alodined; I guess whichever is less expensive. You are right! The humidity here on long Island has been terrible. It has been an ongoing fight this year with surface rust on the stationary power tools. I am already on my second container of Topcote.

Guy,

For the aluminum, I'd recommend Anodizing to protect the appearance. One way you might save a little coin on the anodizing is to visit your local anodizing shop - look for one in the yellow pages - tell them you have these parts for them to do and you are not in any particular hurry for them. See if they will put them in with a larger order for a commercial customer. They may do a them this way for less money - maybe not too.

It's for sure worth asking. BTW be sure to specify what color, or clear if you prefer.

Colors readily available are Red, Blue Black, Gold and some others. You might want to mix colors for some contrast on particular parts.

Black shows scratches worse than other colors, but it has that "High Tech" appearance. If you choose black be sure to have all parts of that color done at once, otherwise there can be color variations between batch's

Good Luck, Dan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Hey Guy you could have it done in Gold & have a name plate made & call it the Kowalskimatic

Make sure to put all the pertinent info on the plate along with the number 001.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-31-2003 at 11:16 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    I thought the term was "anodized". Is that an incorrect term or is "alodined" a different process?
    Todd, alodining & anodizing are two different processes. Alodine offers very good corrosion resistance but is not as durable as anodizing. Anodizing offers corrosion resistance and better durability but it is also 2 to 3 times as expensive. As Dan pointed out, you have several color choices with the anodizing process but the color tends to fade over time when exposed to UV.

FOR SALE - Iraqi rifle. Never fired. Dropped once.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thumbs up Sweeet!

Guy,

You did one whale of a job, sir! I haven't used a milling machine in years, but I still want one and I still need a place to put one. So, lets see that bad boy do some work!

Great job,
    Bob

As Tony the Tiger would say" GREAT LOOKING MACHINE!!!!!!

After seeing a machine like that, I often wonder why I made my life's work in the construction/cabinet/woodworking business when my major in college was mechanical engineering. Sometimes I would like to "trade" all of my woodworking tools for metal working tools when I see this kind of machines.

GREAT JOB GUY even if you had a little help on the side!!!!!

KEN
    RUSTYNAIL