Thread: Dovetail Tenon for Chuck

Dovetail Tenon for Chuck

I've read a few questions about turning a tenon and mounting wood with a tenon in scroll chuck jaws. So I took a couple pictures in hopes it would be easier to understand.
    The first picture is of a round blank for a goblet with a tenon turned on one end. There is a good square solid shoulder for the jaws to contact.
    The second is the wood in the jaws. The shoulder is tight against the jaws while the end of the tenon is just short of reaching the bottom of the jaws.
    The jaws pull on the dovetail, pulling the shoulder tight into the jaws. With the shoulder tight against the jaws and the dovetail tight in the jaws it makes it hard for the wood to move or come loose.

Hope this helps those who have asked.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, me and my camera aren't very good at close ups.
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 10-26-2006 at 9:51 PM.

Thanks for this Curt
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Hi Curt and thank you. This is just what I have been doing, I just don't get it. Turn the dove tail and there is plenty of room at the back of the chuck as you show. I think I just got one of those that don't work. I mean I have a hard time touch a scraper to it without ripping it out. Thanks for your time Curt, I appreciate it.

Corey

NOOOOOO. I made that post for nothing! crap Oh well, nicely done Corey.
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com

Not for nothing Stephen, until I saw your post I didn't realize Curts was the same thought, tennon is a dove tail only. I didn't realize Curts was only a dove tail. Now I can see that. Thanks to both of you for the help!

Corey

THANKS Curt! Appreciate the pictures.....no excuse for a launch now, unless the tenon stays while the bowl goes!!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Please note that not all chucks require a dovetail tenon...you should use one for those that do and not use one for those that don't. In this way, you get full contact without crushing fibers and the strongest hold on the tenon with the chuck jaws.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Please note that not all chucks require a dovetail tenon...you should use one for those that do and not use one for those that don't. In this way, you get full contact without crushing fibers and the strongest hold on the tenon with the chuck jaws.
    That's right. This is using the serrated #2 jaws on the talon chuck. It's sort of a 'death grip' hold for something that you want to hold tight but will eventually be parted off because it definitely leaves a good bite mark.
    The only time I've had a piece break loose with a dovetail tenon is when it's holding with the grain perpendicular to the jaws and the wood will sometimes just break off.

Well, I did order a Nova Midi chuck. Maybe if this doesn't do it, then it is probably just me and I need to focus. Either way I will have 2 chucks to use at the worst! Thanks Curt!

Corey