Thread: Can I exclude some forums?

Can I exclude some forums?

There are at least two forums at SMC that I have no interest in at all. Is there a way to exclude them from the sort when I click on "New Posts" from the main screen, so that I don't see anything in them in the New Posts search results??

Good question, Jim, I'd like know if this is possible, too.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

That came up awhile ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33728
    Short answer is no, not yet, maybe later.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    There are at least two forums at SMC that I have no interest in at all. Is there a way to exclude them from the sort when I click on "New Posts" from the main screen, so that I don't see anything in them in the New Posts search results??
    Ditto for me, a software feature like that would definitely get my vote!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Maybe Kieth should post the Email address of the Vbulletin folks so we can do some productive "enhancements spamming."
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Maybe Kieth should post the Email address of the Vbulletin folks so we can do some productive "enhancements spamming."
    Ken,

The vBulletin web site is;

http://www.vbulletin.com/

Personally, I'm a big "New Posts" user, though I will visit most every forum, if I have the time. OTOH, while it may be a tad more cumbersome not having that feature built-in, you can still closely simulate it when going to the "new posts". If you're main interest is the Turner's Forum, simply click on the "Forum" link to the right of the post and it will bring you directly to that forum. All of the latest "new posts" since your last visit will by hi-lited in bold. You'll still have to find threads of greatest interest to you but, you'll be directly in the forum of most interest. No, not quite as "clean" as not having the forum headings in the first place but, still workable.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

As to user specfic forums I dont know but certain forums can be excluded from the general new post search with vBulletin software

at another board I frequent (also vBulletin ) the politcal discussions where gettting hot with a lot of complaints from those who couldnt ignore what they didnt want to read so the owner set up a forum called crossfire for such discussions

crossfire posts dont show up on the new post search

those that are intrested go to crossfire for discussions

Quote Originally Posted by skip coyne
    As to user specfic forums I dont know but certain forums can be excluded from the general new post search with vBulletin software

at another board I frequent (also vBulletin ) the politcal discussions where gettting hot with a lot of complaints from those who couldnt ignore what they didnt want to read so the owner set up a forum called crossfire for such discussions

crossfire posts dont show up on the new post search

those that are intrested go to crossfire for discussions
    Skip, I'm not familiar with the features within vBulletin but, in this case, I do believe that individual users would prefer to setup their own preferences on an individual basis. I'm assuming that on that other forum, the admin probably made another forum for the political stuff but, didn't include it in the new posts search globally. It's something vBulletin would have to add as a feature for individuals to setup in their "user cp".
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

There may be hope

Over on the VBulletin site there is a thread that addresses the need for a user being able to "Ignore a Forum". It is in the "under consideration" thread, you might just take a look.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Over on the VBulletin site there is a thread that addresses the need for a user being able to "Ignore a Forum". It is in the "under consideration" thread, you might just take a look.
    Keith and Aaron--it looks like someone has written a plug-in to do this. If you look at the last page of the thread Ken linked to, there is a link to the description of the plugin. Not sure if it is exactly what everyone is asking for, but maybe close?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Keith and Aaron--it looks like someone has written a plug-in to do this. If you look at the last page of the thread Ken linked to, there is a link to the description of the plugin. Not sure if it is exactly what everyone is asking for, but maybe close?
    That was an interesting read.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney