Thread: HPLV spray system and air compressor

HPLV spray system and air compressor

I have been reading the various posts on the HPLV spray systems and am totally confused now.

My younger son has been making fiberglass skim boards (like small surf boards) and wants to spray paint them now with epoxy paints. I would use it for finishing small wood projects (currently working on 2 quilt racks with cherry and a triangular corner table) and cabinets on an occasional basis using water based varnishes, etc. We have a spot in the cellar we can make a cordoned off spray area with vents. I have the Spary Finishing book but it does not have specific brands.

I need to get some specific ideas for practible and affordable ($200-300 total for compressor and spray gun) systems. I think I want a gravity feed spray gun.
    Am I being unreasonable in thinking I can get a system for this price?

John Mclane.....Like John McClane from Die Hard?

I would be more worried about having a spray area in the cellar than the price. Especially since your son my be working in the area.

One big "don't do" is the world of woodworking is to don't "spray combustable things in a confined space"....

If you are sure of your ventilation then go ahead..............but cellar spraying signals red lights for me...........

John,

The Astro guns are not very expensive and do a good job. The following link shows about the lowest cost/quality HVLP gun that I would consider. As you can see it takes quite a bit of air. You could pay more and get a LVLP gun (click on back to category on the top left of the page to look around) that uses less air and that way you could use a lower cost compressor. I do not know if you can find a used compressor at a decent price but that would help on keeping the cost down.

If you look around at the following site you can get a lot of infomation. There is a place to ask The Spray Gun Proffesor questions by sending him an email. You might find this of some value since you are just in the beginning stages.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20QULWood.htm

The following link is basically the same gun in the LVLP format.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...14%20Combo.htm

You can find cheaper guns but I think that in the long run you will be happy that you at least went to this quality. Of course the more you spend, up to a point, the better product you will end up with. The quality goes up with the Sharpe, DeVilbiss, Binks, CA Technologies, SATA, etc. but so does the price.

I think that you might should be thinging in terms of at least $400 or $500 or more depending on how much you have to spend on an aircompressor that will supply enough air.

I hope that the small amout of information that I supplied is of some help.

Allen

P.S. One thing that I forgot to mention is that the Astro, and I am sure the rest of the economical guns, have some internals that are not corrosion proof even though they say the tip and needle are suitable for waterbornes. I have not sprayed any water based stuff with mine but if I did I would be sure to spray somthing such as lacquer thinner through it when I finished to make sure that no water residue was left to rust.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-15-2006 at 1:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    The Astro guns are not very expensive and do a good job.
    That's exactly what I use and bought mine from spraygunworld also, got to me in 2 days when I bought it last year. Great company, great prices, and great service. I bought a 1.8mm nozzle, which will do latex and other water based products no problem. Smaller nozzles are a problem in that regard. I have the LVLP model (EVO4018).

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20EVO4018.htm

I bought it to shoot about 700 sq.ft. of clear on knotty pine panelling, but the reason I bought it was that I can use it for most all woodworking applications with the larger nozzle.

I use it with a Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate, but I have used it with a small Campbell Hausfeld hot-dog oiless, and it works fine and could almost keep up. Great gun for all practical purpose, IMO.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by john mclane
    Am I being unreasonable in thinking I can get a system for this price?
    i think so......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.