Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 36" band saw tire change

36" band saw tire change

good morning WW
    I thought that some of you might be interested in seeing some of the details on how large industrial BS tires are changed. If you have ever looked at some of the on line auctions of 36" bandsaws, you may have seen photos of the wheels. Many modern 36" bandsaws used "carter high speed wheels" or some close clone of them. The carter wheel has a few nice features that have made them pretty much the industry standard. They are capable of 180 mph speeds without flying apart ( older cast iron wheels had a limit to their speed because of this potential problem ), and they are easily "re-tired" as opposed to the glue on or vulcanized rubber tires. although my saw was in very good shape, the tires were somewhat worn and so I decided to replace them. The photos below show some of that process.

the carter wheel is a split rim that unbolts and the tire slips off. the new one slips on and is held in place by the little "nubs" inside of the tire. Those nubs lodge themselves in the indentations of the rim and prevent the tire from spinning on the rim. The tire itself is a combination of steel and rubber vulcanized, ground to shape and balanced.

I thought you might also like to see the size of the " Hub and brake" setup on this particualr saw. The motor shaft you see in the photo is 1 7/8" diameter ( the saw has a 30 hp motor frame size that is direct drive to the wheel... no belts )

enjoy
    lou
    Attached Images Attached Images

few more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lou sansone; 05-13-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Nice pics, Lou. Monster of a saw, and it also looks like you have a really nice shop!!

4. What..........?

ONLY a 30 hp motor............

man that is one monster of a saw, thanks for the info on the wheels and tires, I'd not seen that type before.

Cheers!

I assume that is the same Carter that makes the bearing guides. They really did come up with great bandsaw improvements. Are those tires at all hard to come by or are they a current product line?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Baldwin
    I assume that is the same Carter that makes the bearing guides. They really did come up with great bandsaw improvements. Are those tires at all hard to come by or are they a current product line?

The tires are still very much in production and come in urethane and neoprene. You are correct that this is the same carter that makes the band saw blade guides.

thanks for looking
    lou

Bandsaw tires

Lou, Nice Moak you got their. They made a very good, little know bandsaw. Nobody makes wheel and tire as good as Carter, that's what they do. I priced urethane tires for my 30" Oliver and they were $165 each and you can not crown urethane tire. Haven't gone either way yet. Cheaper then the $275 Tannewitz wants for each tire for their great saw. Nice story Lou.

Jeff Singleton
    Singleton's Woodworking & Pattern Works

Hey Lou.....dog.......you got the easy type lol. I got the rubber on the Yates 36" wheels. It was a snap the way I did it. Took about 5 minets per tire, but now I have to crown them lol....nice Saw
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

I have not done this, but. . . . Northfield vulcanizes their tires to the wheel, and then balances them on the wheel. Take off the wheels, send them to Northfiled, and they send them back with new tires, balanced. The quote, x-shipping, for a pair of 20" wheels was #370. Not too bad, all things considered.

I did not ask them if they will do other makers, but I hope so. My Zimmermann has vulcanized tires, as does my Agazzani. I talked to a Zimmermann rep in California after I got the saw, and was told that to replace the tires, you order new wheels, and send the old ones back to Zimmeramnn. $1400 each. Sure hope that is not the route I have to go if my saw need new sneakers.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    Hey Lou.....dog.......you got the easy type lol. I got the rubber on the Yates 36" wheels. It was a snap the way I did it. Took about 5 minets per tire, but now I have to crown them lol....nice Saw
    hi reg
    glad to hear that it went easy. the crown should not be that hard to do for a guy like you. we are still waiting for those yates pictures
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Singleton
    Lou, Nice Moak you got their. They made a very good, little know bandsaw. Nobody makes wheel and tire as good as Carter, that's what they do. I priced urethane tires for my 30" Oliver and they were $165 each and you can not crown urethane tire. Haven't gone either way yet. Cheaper then the $275 Tannewitz wants for each tire for their great saw. Nice story Lou.

Jeff Singleton
    Singleton's Woodworking & Pattern Works
    hi jeff
    the neoprene carter tires are about 280 each! But where else are you going to go for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    I have not done this, but. . . . Northfield vulcanizes their tires to the wheel, and then balances them on the wheel. Take off the wheels, send them to Northfiled, and they send them back with new tires, balanced. The quote, x-shipping, for a pair of 20" wheels was #370. Not too bad, all things considered.

I did not ask them if they will do other makers, but I hope so. My Zimmermann has vulcanized tires, as does my Agazzani. I talked to a Zimmermann rep in California after I got the saw, and was told that to replace the tires, you order new wheels, and send the old ones back to Zimmeramnn. $1400 each. Sure hope that is not the route I have to go if my saw need new sneakers.
    Hi alan
    that zimmermann is just getting broken in . What a sweet saw... man you lucked out on that one!

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    hi reg
    glad to hear that it went easy. the crown should not be that hard to do for a guy like you. we are still waiting for those yates pictures
    lou
    Hi Lou
    Nice looking shop....give me a cpl weeks to get it in the resting spot and I'll fire you some....I though I posted a few in here...

I'll show you how the tires went on when I get to the house
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

hi reg
    nice .......

standing by for photos

lou

Hi Lou,

I just swapped the tire on my 36" American. Mine is equipped with a Carter Quick Change drive wheel--same split rim but no nubs.

I didn't even bother taking the wheel off.

How much did your tire cost?

Scott
    Memphis, TN