Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sears Craftsman Table Saw problem. Help!

This exact thing happened to me with my craftsman 3HP. Check out the thread below. It's my router table thread but in it is the discussion about fixing my table saw. You most likely shot the bearing. There are two bearings to check. Unfortunately, they are one with the shaft.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33429

EDIT: Cliff, that was me.........

You know 80 bucks for a new motor for around 100 you coud find a used belt drive sears saw and be happer I sold my old sears belt drive saw with the fence that came with my 22114 saw for 100 and have sean a lot of used saws for under 100 they well have way more power and cut much better the 3 h.p. that sears tells you they have is a lie it's more like 1/3 h.p. 3 h.p. would take at least 30 amps to run.

Bob, Chet is right. You can usually find an old belt drive contractors saw for $100 or less. You'll be much happier with it. It's certainly quiter than you direct drive unit. Where are you anyway? Someone here might be able to "hook you up" if you are close to them and they want to part with a saw.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I'm in St. Louis, MO. but I think I'm going to stick with this saw for awhile. My plan is to take the motor out and take it to an electric motor repair shop that is a few miles from my house and see what they say. My decision will be based on what they say. I'll probably do it this weekend so I'll keep you posted.

Broken gear

Quote Originally Posted by bob holder View Post
    to all,
    i've got a sears craftsman 10 in. 3 h.p. Table saw model 137.248830. I was recently cutting a board with the fence on and the board got binded up between the blade and the fence and the board went shooting out. Luckily i was not in the way of the board.
    Now the saw is making a very loud sound when it is running like an air raid siren and i smell a metallic smell coming from the motor. Any ideas on what's wrong, how to fix it, where to get it fixed and approx. How much it may cost to fix?
    Thanks for any and all help i can get on this.
    i had the exact same problem with my table saw,, i disassembled it, and found out the gear on the shaft itself had a couple of broken gears,, that`s why it makes that ugly noise,, you`ll need to buy another armature,,it runs about 95.00,, more or less..

To the best of my knowledge, there is no breakdown on that motor(from Sears anyway), it's all or none. $162.99 + S&H.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...8830&keyId=QEP

I'd go for a good used belt drive saw.

I'm betting that in the 7 years since the OP had the problem, he either fixed the saw, got a new one, or dropped out of woodworking entirely.

Date of last post: 5/16/2006 Wow!

Yep, I missed that , John.

Golden oldie.

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    I'm betting that in the 7 years since the OP had the problem, he either fixed the saw, got a new one, or dropped out of woodworking entirely.

Date of last post: 5/16/2006 Wow!
    I noticed that too plus it was his last post.