Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Vue cyclones

Clear Vue cyclones

Hello everyone,
    I am new to Sawmill Creek. So here is my first post.
    I am interested in feedback on how people like their Clear Vue cyclones. I am doing research on making my own Bill Pentz style or buying a Clear Vue. I am looking for any recommendations. My first 2 quotes for making cyclone only came in at $2300 and $2000 Canadian. (I am in Ontario).
    Adam

welcome adam! i don`t own a clearvue but ed has `em listed for 9 bills american on his website..tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I've e-mailed Ed about the Clearvue and shipping it to Canada. Until recently, he offered free shipping to Canada, but that's since changed probably because he was getting burned on the extra costs. Now he takes the full shipping charge, subtracts his average American shipping charge (around $70) and you pay the difference. That way, you still get the same savings as his American customers, but you do have to pay the extra. He's located in South Carolina and he quoted me $100 ($170-$70) for shipping to BC. I imagine it would be considerably less to ship to Ontario. Then you'll have to pay GST, PST, and brokerage fees of around $60 (the fee that UPS or FedEx charges you for them paying your tax bill at the border).

On top of the cyclone, you'll need a switch and filters. You can get filters at a Camfil Farr location, though I'm not sure if they ship. You're probably looking at another $200 including tax for these.

I've figured the total cost for the Clearvue cyclone to Canada to be a little under $1600 CDN after all is said and done. I've also figured out total costs for Oneidas to be shipped, and the 3HP Gorilla comes in over $2000 CDN after all expenses, so the Clearvue is a fairly good deal. Even the crappiest import cyclones sell for over $1000 plus tax, so I would definitely consider it.

Welcome Adam!!

Welcome Adam!! I have the ClearVue, but still don't have it up and running yet. I bought a box and contactor last night, have about 1/3 of my ducting done, and still need to get the electrical turned on to the shop. I can tell you this...Ed is a class act to work with. None finer in my book. I'm sure several owners will chime in here with their thoughts. I've read several reports from people who loved it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have one...

and have had it up and running for a year+ or so. Simply, I love it.
    Great product. Great company. Great price. Works great. What else is there?
    Phil

Welcome, Adam.

Unlike many places on the web, SMC has a search function which works well. Cyclones and Clear-Vue have been discussed a lot here, and you can find those discussions using Search.

What about grounding and static build up using the plastic?
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grills
    What about grounding and static build up using the plastic?
    Adam
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...ticElectricity

I have a Clear Vue and cut a lot of MDF on the CNC router. I have yet to get MDF dust out of the filters so it does work! I use a 55 gal plastic drum with a foam gasket on top and a 3/4" ply top that just sits on top of the drum. When the cyclone starts it sucks the ply down tight and you will not be able to pry it off without tools!

I run 6" S&D pipe in my shop. I don't like to get shocked when working so I did run a "drain" wire around the outside of the pipe. I connected it to the shop ground and the static is GONE. If your flex hose that will connect to the machines has a wire in the coils I would connect that as well. If your hose has plastic in the ribs you can just wrap wire around the outside.

I would buy another Clearvue without thought and I would run plastic pipe again.

11. Hi Adam, WELCOME!!

Where abouts in BC, I'm from Kelowna, a while back.

I don't have a ClearVue, but I built a Pentz cyclone and just love it.

I have all PVC ducting and I've never had a shock.

Cheers!

Hi Adam,

I just picked up a Clear Vue Cyclone a few months back.The cost was $1040 Cdn plus approx. $270 Cdn for taxes and brokerage fees.Hoping to install this weekend so I can't comment on the performance.Ed was great to deal with.I debated for a while on the build Vs. buy like yourself,then decided to go with the Clear Vue based on price and the opinions of some fellow Creekers.I probably would have had about the same money into one that I would have built.Work is busy so a few more OT hours paid for it.Seemed the way to go with the added bonus of a good exchange rate on the Cdn dollar.

Rich

Clear vue is here!

Thank you for the response everyone. I did order a Clear Vue. It took 2hr to put together incl the wall bracket. It was a sinch to put together. Unfortunately they mistakenly shipped me a LH cyclone in a RH box. I called Ed the next day and he sent another out that day. What amazing customer service!!!!!!! It took only 6 days and it was at my door.
    I spent about 5 months researching cyclones- Bill Pentz design is the best out there that I could find. I set out to make my own, but after lots of research found that it is costing me $250 CAN more to buy the clear vue (even after shipping, taxes, etc.) and all I have to do is put it together. I geat deal if you ask me. So far so good. Installing duct work over the next week or so. I will write back after she is running in the shop.

Just curious, what did you have to pay for brokerage/taxes? Also, where are you getting your filters? I'd be very interested to hear someone's experience setting up a Clearvue in Canada.

The Clear Vue is still running great in my shop. I have cut a fair amount of MDF on the CNC Router and the filters are yet to have anything in them. I do get tired of dumping the 55 gal. drum I use for the dust bin.