Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting blanks on a table saw

Cutting blanks on a table saw

Check out the first picture, anyone ever try this!?http://www.exoticwoodworld.com/index...tic&sc=process

I'm definitely not that "brave" or desperate I would resort to a handsaw before I'd do that

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!! I would sooner put the square blank on the lathe and make it round than do it that way! Then again, it appears that they do a LOT of turning and that is their process. Not my cup 'o tea, though!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

You have to remember this is in Peru where there are no safety standards. Someone loses a finger or hand, no big deal. Just hire a replacement. Perhaps they would be better served not to show these practices on their web site. I know I would not support them. (This is the site of an SMC member by the way)
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Careful, he's still a little "touchy" about that saw and the trouble some people are giving him for using it that way. It is my understanding he has a bandsaw on the way.

I have a circle jig for a tablesaw but I use a whole lot more table & lot less wood. Though i am not beyond simply nocking the corners off with the tablesaw.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.

Before I had my bandsaw I used to get my blanks on the round side with a TS and a circ jig.

Every one can relax. We got a band saw. PS Nine years later and other than a few black fingernails and toenails (most of my people refuse to wear shoes the ony accident we have had is Wally our Englishman dropped a 20" 36 tooth blade and put a couple of nice holes in his shin. People are not disposable here either. All are insured by the mandatory govt. health insurance but we send any sick or hurt workers or their family members to a private hospital as the govt. operation makes our table saw look quite good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim King; 05-19-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hart
    I have a circle jig for a tablesaw but I use a whole lot more table & lot less wood. .....
    I would really like to see a pic of that jig in use; as well as read how you can round a blank (of any size) on a blade that has a (presumed) ten inch diameter. Nibbling away at it is not the same as "circle cutting"
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim King
    Every one can relax. We got a band saw. PS Nine years later and other than a few black fingernails and toenails (most of my people refuse to wear shoes the ony accident we have had is Wally our Englishman dropped a 20" 36 tooth blade and put a couple of nice holes in his shin. People are not disposable here either. All are insured by the mandatory govt. health insurance but we send any sick or hurt workers or their family members to a private hospital as the govt. operation makes our table saw look quite good.
    Jim, thanks much for that update!!! I, for one, feel a whole lot better for the folks rounding out those blanks! You're fortunate that there have not been worse accidents and getting the BS, it could very well mean that one of "those" accidents has now been prevented!

BTW, very impressed with your work and the whole process! I may even try my hand at doing some boiling of the rough-outs! Thanks for sharing your process with everyone!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Now that everyone is happy that our good old table saw is back to cutting up boards I thought you might like to see our parting tools. First two photos are a modified machete and the third is a cut up chainsaw bar. Work great.

now those are some serious parting tools

By the way, I've been reading your other posts for the last several days, love your work!

I think you should write "Sorby" on the machete handle just to impress the neighbors!

One of my favorite parting tools is my hacksaw. I couldn't find it the other day so I used my flush cut Japaneese saw. I had to clean the gullets alot but got a nice small cut!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    I would really like to see a pic of that jig in use; as well as read how you can round a blank (of any size) on a blade that has a (presumed) ten inch diameter. Nibbling away at it is not the same as "circle cutting"
    I don't know if I still have the jig but since I don't have the saw anymore I kind of doubt it I will be headed out to the storage shed this weekend and have a look and I'll look for the magazine I got it from too. Basicly the design came from a from the early to mid 50's and had an auxialry table made from 2 entire sheets of plywood and was only meant to cut really thin stock and basicly nibbled the corners away from rather large pieces until you were almost round and then ran at a full circle because all the was left was a tiny amount. I also didn't make the jig, I got the saw, jig magazines and other tools when the family cleaned out the old guy who used to live across the streets house. I saw him use it pretty often though, which is how I knew what it was and how to use it. I also saw it in the old stack of woodworking mags I got from his family which is how I know where it came from.

I have heard of other jigs including vertical ones that ran the piece across the top of the barely exposesd blade. Granted there are easier ways to do this unless you lack the tools required to make or use them.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.

If you are impressed with the parting tools you will like all the others. Most were imported as Toyotas or Nicholsons.