Thread: Source for sharpening planer knives?

Source for sharpening planer knives?

I just changed the knives on my DeWalt planer and need to get them sharpened. I checked Forrest's website and they want $16.40 plus shipping. Is this the going price? How is Forrest's sharpening service? I have never used them since I don't own any Forrest blades. (WW11 is on my wish list.) Thanks for your help.
    Dick

We have a local sharpener here in town and he charges $.50 per inch. A fellow here at work has a Dewalt and had his knives sharpened with him and they were razor sharp.

If I were you, I would try to find someone local. Scott Whiting is a contributor here and runs a sharpening shop in Phoenix, AZ. I have been to his place and he does good work also. If I was going to ship them out, I would ship to whoever is closest. There is also Ballew Saw and Tool in MO that does sharpening.

Hey Dick,

I would just send them to Scott Whiting. I buy my bandsaw blades, TS and Mitersaw blades (Everlast and Amana), as well as have my jointer/planer knives shaprened from/by Scott. I can't say enough great things about him and the services he offers. BTW, If you EVER get a chance to <b>try out an EVERLAST rip or crosscut blade</b> from ol' Scott, I would highly recommend them.!!!!! They ain't cheap, but boy are they great sawblades..!!!!!!

NAJASC (No Affiliation, Just A Satisfied Customer)......
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sharpening Planer Blades

Buy a Makita slow speed sharpener. You will pay for the Makita in a very short time. When you friends find out the you can sharpen planer blades you can make a few extra bucks providing the service to them. The money you make will buy lots of cool new tools.

Any questions concerning the Makita sharpener fire away, I've had mine for almost ten years.

Keith,

I have a ? or 2.

Does the Makita have a fine adj., say to lower the blade a couple of thousands for the next grind?

Also, does the blade make contact with the whole wheel so you're not making steps in the wheel when grinding?

I have a Delta Wet/Dry sharpener and am not exactly happy with it. The Makita has been tugging at my wallet because it appears to use the whole wheel. Thanks, Brian...

Makita Sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bailey
    Keith,

I have a ? or 2.

Does the Makita have a fine adj., say to lower the blade a couple of thousands for the next grind?

Also, does the blade make contact with the whole wheel so you're not making steps in the wheel when grinding?

I have a Delta Wet/Dry sharpener and am not exactly happy with it. The Makita has been tugging at my wallet because it appears to use the whole wheel. Thanks, Brian...
    Brian,

Yep, the Makita has a fine adjustment for adjusting the angle and the depth. The blade contacts the whole wheel when sharpening so the wheel wears evenly and the grind is absolutely straight. Blade balance is maintained as well. Planer blades are sharp enough to shave with and you will be amazed at how sharp your hand chisels will be. Your blades will last and stay sharp much longer than using a commercial service and you will always know that they were not overheated when you wet sharpen them yourself.

I have a green wheel (course) and a brown wheel (fine 6000) and I doubt I will ever wear them out. I'm convinced that the Makita is the finest sharpener available at any cost.

My neighbor bought the Delta sharpener a few months ago and after seeing my Makita sent the Delta back.

Thanks Keith,

I've been using scary sharp on my chisels and hand planes, recently started using diamond stones with good results. Need a good power system for the planer blades though, looks like the Makita will meet my needs!

Dick Holt,

Good luck in getting those blades done, nothing worse than dull blades.

Paul Kunkel Guest

I'll second what you said Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Brian,

Yep, the Makita has a fine adjustment for adjusting the angle and the depth. The blade contacts the whole wheel when sharpening so the wheel wears evenly and the grind is absolutely straight. Blade balance is maintained as well. Planer blades are sharp enough to shave with and you will be amazed at how sharp your hand chisels will be. Your blades will last and stay sharp much longer than using a commercial service and you will always know that they were not overheated when you wet sharpen them yourself.

I have a green wheel (course) and a brown wheel (fine 6000) and I doubt I will ever wear them out. I'm convinced that the Makita is the finest sharpener available at any cost.

My neighbor bought the Delta sharpener a few months ago and after seeing my Makita sent the Delta back.
    And add that only when the nicks get so numerous that blade shifts dont do the trick, I send them out for a grind.

I know what you mean. Had my Dewalt blades sharpened for the first time the other day, $36.00. I was thinking about the Makita Sharpener. It would save money over time.

brian