Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Turning fun

1. Dirty Turning fun

Hi Everyone in the turning forum.

I was just perusing the turning forum. I don't turn much, but do enjoy the time I get on one of my wife's lathes. Mostly I turn tool handles when needed--and spend time sharpening my wife's tools when she's in te midst of a project so she doesn't have to stop

But I ran across the threads about Dirty Turning. As I usually don't pop into the turning forum, I had no idea about the concept. Sounds like fun.

Do y'all open it up for people like me that only spin things up once in a while? Do I need to read this forum more often, because it seems I missed any anouncements on the other SMC forums. Or is it a Turning forum thing only?

So, I guess I need to know, how do I know when it is going on?

Thanks, Mike

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Hi Everyone in the turning forum.

I was just perusing the turning forum. I don't turn much, but do enjoy the time I get on one of my wife's lathes. Mostly I turn tool handles when needed--and spend time sharpening my wife's tools when she's in te midst of a project so she doesn't have to stop

But I ran across the threads about Dirty Turning. As I usually don't pop into the turning forum, I had no idea about the concept. Sounds like fun.

Do y'all open it up for people like me that only spin things up once in a while? Do I need to read this forum more often, because it seems I missed any anouncements on the other SMC forums. Or is it a Turning forum thing only?

So, I guess I need to know, how do I know when it is going on?

Thanks, Mike
    Hi Mike, glad you see you made it over to the Turners forum!

We do not exclude anyone from the vortex, in fact, we have all banded together in the past to push people into the vortex, and we welcome one and all.

I'm fairly sure that any new post that is made here shows up on the "New Post" search function when you hit the "New Post" button or link near the top of the page there, so even if you did not actually venture into the Turners Forum, the new post would be visible in the new post search.

I guess if you did not want to "Miss" anything here, you would have to pop into the turner's form.

Just like I found this fantastic thread over the Neander way about a great and wonderful draw for a handmade saw.........

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36786

I did not see this promoted on the Turner's forum, but I guess I was lucky enough to find it anyways!

Hope to see you around here more Mike, it is a fun and open group, heck, they let me in, so they will accept anyone!

BTW, what kind of lathe do you guys have?

We like pictures here too, so if you have some of your lathe and your tool handles, please do share!

Cheers!

3. Thank you for the warm welcome, Stu.

I have posted in the past in the Turner's forum--I would have to do a search to find them.

The lathe's are my wife's. A Jet mini was the first I got her, which spawned a greater interest and so about a year later we got her a Jet 14-42.

She's the real turner. Me? I just lay once in a while. Do some pens, a bowl and vases once in a while. Great way to relax.

Swiss Pear is my favorite wood to turn I think. At least for the vases. Pink Ivory turns well.

For tool handles and such the Cocobolo and Honduran Rosewood are what I mostly stick with.

As for displaying all the new posts--it seemed tedious to try that approach as there is a lot of them. Instead, I typically stick to my main interests, which are hand tools, though I do venture in the general woodworking forum a bit.

Nah, I guess I'll need to check all the forums more often to see if I can include myself in any neat things that are only announced in a single forum. Then I guess I'll respond into those threads to see if I can participate. I'm certain I can--but instead of assuming I cannot, I'll politely ask.

Thank you,
    Mike

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Thank you for the warm welcome, Stu.

I have posted in the past in the Turner's forum--I would have to do a search to find them.

The lathe's are my wife's. A Jet mini was the first I got her, which spawned a greater interest and so about a year later we got her a Jet 14-42.

She's the real turner. Me? I just lay once in a while. Do some pens, a bowl and vases once in a while. Great way to relax.

Swiss Pear is my favorite wood to turn I think. At least for the vases. Pink Ivory turns well.

For tool handles and such the Cocobolo and Honduran Rosewood are what I mostly stick with.

As for displaying all the new posts--it seemed tedious to try that approach as there is a lot of them. Instead, I typically stick to my main interests, which are hand tools, though I do venture in the general woodworking forum a bit.

Nah, I guess I'll need to check all the forums more often to see if I can include myself in any neat things that are only announced in a single forum. Then I guess I'll respond into those threads to see if I can participate. I'm certain I can--but instead of assuming I cannot, I'll politely ask.

Thank you,
    Mike
    Swiss Pear, never heard of it, sounds beautiful!

How does your wife like the bigger Jet?

When it comes to SMC, I'd say that we don't exclude anyone, in fact, I'd be rather surprised to see a thread that did specifically exclude a group or groups of people, does not seem like the SMC way, wouldn't you agree?

Cheers!

5. "We" is pretty inclusive in and of itself. But if an offer isn't publicised in all the forums that in itself can be viewed as exclusionary by ommission. Afterall, it does impose the requirement to view every forum and view threads which may not have titles that make themselves clear as to their nature.

I mean heck, I didn't know that "Dirty Turning" was a blank exchange until I read the post. But I guess to people on the Turning forum it made sense. I'm sure I saw the title before tonight, I just didn't know what it meant.

She likes the larger Jet. Heck, she likes 'em both. If she could turn on both at once I think she would. Her wood store probably has more bd/ft in it than mine, and I would imagine mine is over 5,000 bd/ft.

Ah, wood is good.

Take care, Mike

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    "We" is pretty inclusive in and of itself. But if an offer isn't publicised in all the forums that in itself can be viewed as exclusionary by ommission. Afterall, it does impose the requirement to view every forum and view threads which may not have titles that make themselves clear as to their nature....
    Well, that is your opinion Mike, and you can have it, just as I can have mine.

Cheers!

I would, in no way, consider the categorization on SMC, as being exclusionary. It is segmented up so that people can post within a specific facet of woodworking. In fact, posting the Dirty Turning exchange in another forum would be contrary to the spirit of SMC and the thread would ultimately be moved into the Turning Forum anyway. I know I miss lots of stuff in the other forums simply because I don't have time to read everything. There's just so much going on with all the talent here.

Welcome Mike!!! Hope you get in on the next one!

By the way...the Dirty Turning Exchange was the Brainstorm of Chris Hartley and the first of its kind. There will probably be others and we also have contests from time to time...but they are never planned....just spontaneous....Like Turners!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff

Do y'all open it up for people like me that only spin things up once in a while?
    Heck Mike, I never even turned until Pete Jordan invited me over to try his lathe a few months ago...they welcomed this "flat lander" into this group ( I think ) So if you already spin things once in a while you're doing great..Jump in and join in the fun.

Mike..........These turners here are definitely NOT exclusionary! IF anyboddy knows, I do and I am proof! When I started hassling them last fall and indicated it would be some time before I'd be buying a lathe.....They shoved me into the Vortex! These clowns bought me a lathe ......I wouldn't consider that exclusionary!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mike, I would like to Formaly invite you to participate in
    the next event whatever & whenever it may be!

Steve Ash, glad you finally got some glasses so you can see
    what you are turning! .
    Last edited by Mike Ramsey; 05-22-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ramsey
    Steve Ash, glad you finally got some glasses so you can see
    what you are turning! .
    Thanks...I'm not sure I'll like what I see.

Steve.........it's amazing how taking your cap off improved your looks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, you're a funny guy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    ...I mean heck, I didn't know that "Dirty Turning" was a blank exchange until I read the post. But I guess to people on the Turning forum it made sense. I'm sure I saw the title before tonight, I just didn't know what it meant.
    Actually Mike, when you go back and read all the posts, many folks, seemingly were not sure it made sense. Either that, or they banned together to play a trick on me and see if I really thought it made sence. (there were times I was wondering myself, but heck, it was fun.) It was fashoned after "Dirty Santa" and the aspect of being able to steal anothers blank after one had drawn. It probably could be improved, but hey, you have to start somewhere when you try something new. Now, as to "exclusionary", let's see if we can resolve that. Since we just had the exchange and people are just in the process of getting their blanks, if you are interested in participating then just let us know. I will ask for someone who hasn't participated to see if they would like to exchange with you and then you can at least get in on the final phase. We just want you to know that at the in the vortex we have the the most hospitable group you'll ever find anywhere. Try us you'll see!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

15. It is segmented up so that people can post within a specific facet of woodworking.
    Yep, I realize that now. Similar--but not the same--as the Neander forum.

But yep, I'll keep an eye out now that I know it is available. Got some fairly nice pieces, at least if I rob my wife's stash...

Take care, Mike

PS, for the record, I never said nor intended to convey that the turners or SMC as a whole was exclusionary.