Thread: stickering lumber....

stickering lumber....

I have a question about storing kiln dried lumber....the vast majority (99%) of lumber I purchase is kiln-dried-I confirm the MC with a Wagner pinless MMC220....All of the wood is stored inside our house-70 degrees all year around with humidifier in the winter and a dehumidifier in the summer. The MC is constantly between 8% and 9%. I stack the wood by type and similar sized pieces. For the past few decades, I never used stickers with this wood, and never "found" and problems/issues. The wood was dry and the environment was not changing, so it was not necessary to sticker the wood. A young woodworker-a graduate from the Rhode Island School of Design, came to my shop/home and saw this wood---and started yelling at me...."you must sticker the wood".
    Any thoughts? I would rather keep the wood piles as is, unless I am really hurting the wood and therefore my future projects. Is I must sticker-sticker suggestions please?<O</O
    Thanks,<O</O
    Phil

I never stucker kilned wood. Don't see a reason for it.

I've stored my kiln dried wood for years in an enclosed trailer which is affected by the outdoor temps. and humidty and never had a problem. All my stuff is rough sawn just stacked on racks no stickering and I just bring it in the shop and let it acclimate before milling it (I do however sticker it while acclimating in the shop for a few days).
    Last edited by Matt Tawes; 05-22-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

Blog Entries

Ruined Wood

All your wood is permanently ruined and totally unsuited for any wood project. Due to environmental concerns it shouldn't even be used for fire wood. Please send me your name and address and I will come by this weekend and take it all away for you and dispose of it.

Like you I use mostly kiln dried wood and I don't sticker wood in my shop. I've had no problems for many years in the same house.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Once the wood is KD the stickers' job is done.
    Chuck

stickering needed for green wood only

If you stack green wood without stickering, it is pretty amazing how much moisture remains- inner boards are wet to the touch.

And after stickering even a few days, the moisture goes down very rapidly, esp in this perfect, low humidity weather we've been having. I also anchorseal the endgrain to minimize splits.

All that said, I don't think you need worry about it with kiln dried.

(this message brought to you by the department of redundancy department)

Lynn Kasdorf

Blog Entries
    Ok, I think we all agree that kiln dried wood stored inside in a climate controlled environment can go unstickered. Well how about air dried (say for about 20 years) and then restacked outside under a tarp. Can this wood be stored unstickered?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Ok, I think we all agree that kiln dried wood stored inside in a climate controlled environment can go unstickered. Well how about air dried (say for about 20 years) and then restacked outside under a tarp. Can this wood be stored unstickered?
    I've got a bunch of 10 year air-dried cypress that isn't stickered. No problems so far. I do have it sitting off of the concrete floor on bottom stickers though - I don't want to push my luck too far.
    Doyle

I think he must have missed some classes.

Thank you so much!

I feel so much better! I always thought kiln-dried didn't have to be
    stickered....thanks,
    Phil

You know what is interesting/funny?

I didn't write "he or she" regarding the graduate....
    the graduate from the furniture program at the Rhode Island School of Design was a.......young lady ! She actually is a very smart, and
    talented cabinet maker.....oh well, whe must have missed that class.
    Phil

I don't believe it's "necessary" to sticker kiln dried material, but tend to use 1/4" scrap between boards anyway since I go a long time between projects way to often. That just encourages air flow and can't hurt. The thin materials don't add "too much" to the storage space.

That all said, it can't hurt to sticker material you've selected for a project for a few days before you start milling it "just to be sure" that you have basically equal MC on both sides of the boards to start.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Anything below 25% can be stacked without stickers. Period. Do not use stickers on Kiln Dried lumber is not necessary.

Once wood is dry, either air or kiln, stickers are no longer needed.

I have never seen stickered mattress supports. Pleaase put the kid back in school and send him or her my address. He or she pays the way I can give a class in lumber handeling. IF THEY ARE NOT TO IMPORTANT AND BEYOND HELP IT SHOULD COST THEM ABOUT $1000 A MONTH AND THEY WILL LEARN IN TWO MONTHS WHAT THEY THOUGHT ABOUT FOR FIVE YEARS..