Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth of a shop

Marty,

I've been lurking on this thread and wanted to say that I've enjoyed following it. One thing that really surprised me was the picture you took with the gravel. It really gives you a perspective of just how big your shop will be. I'm really green with envy on this shop! (And to think someone told you to go bigger!)

I know it's hard work but there is no better satisfaction than when it's finished and you step back and look at it for the first time. Keep at it, it's worth every ounce of blood and sweat you put into it.

Oh, and wish Denise a very happy birthday! (I think someone needs to take her out for a very nice dinner.)

Larry

Jim,

A tractor with a loader is on our wish list. Unfortunately, our tractor isn't 4WD and we've been advised against putting on a loader on it. So, for now, it'll be a shovel and wheelbarrow to move the gravel. After humping 72 bags of concrete, and backfilling those holes, I don't think 9 tons of gravel will really matter!

Steve and Tod,

Denise thanks you! And I thank Denise!

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cooke
    Marty,

I've been lurking on this thread and wanted to say that I've enjoyed following it. One thing that really surprised me was the picture you took with the gravel. It really gives you a perspective of just how big your shop will be. I'm really green with envy on this shop! (And to think someone told you to go bigger!)

I know it's hard work but there is no better satisfaction than when it's finished and you step back and look at it for the first time. Keep at it, it's worth every ounce of blood and sweat you put into it.

Oh, and wish Denise a very happy birthday! (I think someone needs to take her out for a very nice dinner.)

Larry
    Larry,

Glad you're enjoying our adventure.

As for the size, as I said early on in this thread, designing the shop in Sketchup was one thing. Heck, I could have designed it to be 400' x 640' and it wouldn't have mattered. But once I layed out the batter boards and saw just how big it's going to be, I realized I had bit off a HUGE task!

And yes, that's nine ton of gravel in the pile. To put it further in perspective, those tubes are 12" around and the row closest to the gravel is about 20" out of the ground.

You're also right about the satisfaction from doing it all ourselves. At least so far you are. Denise and I had a celebratory gatorade on the deck after the concrete truck left. It's so kewl to see this thing coming to life!!!

Denise thanks you too. And you can rest ASSURED that she will be taken to the finest restaurant she cares to venture into this evening. (After she gets the concrete from under nails, that is! )

- Marty -

The progress is looking good on the gymnasium, Marty. A person really gets a feel for the size when they see you standing in that field of piers. After the gym is done, when are you and Denise gonna start building the shop?

You're a lucky guy to have a wife who can swing a hammer and screed concrete. Pass along a happy b-day to her from me, too.

- Vaughn

Marty,

Looks good. The only negative is all those pictures of you and not enough of Denise. Happy birthday Denise!!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    The progress is looking good on the gymnasium, Marty. A person really gets a feel for the size when they see you standing in that field of piers. After the gym is done, when are you and Denise gonna start building the shop?

You're a lucky guy to have a wife who can swing a hammer and screed concrete. Pass along a happy b-day to her from me, too.

- Vaughn
    Vaughn,

I like that...our Gymnasium!

It sures does look that way. Did I plan to make this TOO big?

NAHHH, it can NEVER BE TOO BIG!

And yes, as I said, I'm the LUCKIEST man to have her. Not only can she screed concrete, she even works in the shop with me. What more could a man ask for...and expect to get?!

She'll see the birthday wishes when she reads this after work.

Thanks...
    - Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Marty,

Looks good. The only negative is all those pictures of you and not enough of Denise. Happy birthday Denise!!

John
    John,

All I can say is that she's camera shy. I'll make a point of taking more shots of her...but getting her to allow me to post them is another matter altogether!!

Thanks on her behalf...
    - Marty -

Marty,
    Great progress and your wife is a real jewel to give you so much support.

Another Happy Birthday to her.

Looking good Marty! I bet your chomping at the bit to get at the building itself!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Looking good Marty! I bet your chomping at the bit to get at the building itself!

Corey
    Corey,

You have NO IDEA! I'm developing a serious allergic reaction to shovels!!!

But that should come to an end on Monday when the engineered products show up for the floor. It's on to 'wood-working' of sorts now!

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Marty,

John
    John,

After reading your post, Denise relented today and allowed me to shoot and post a few shots of her...

Before and after pics of her leveling the site with our tractor and box blade, and then her taking a break admiring her handiwork:
    Attachment 40039Attachment 40040Attachment 40041

Better...?

She shot a few of me, and I won't post them...

Back to shoveling gravel...
    - Marty -
    Last edited by Marty Walsh; 11-30-2006 at 7:45 PM.

Some guys have all the luck!!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Marty, I'm late coming to this thread. You are going to have one amazing shop when you are complete with it. I'm going to enjoy wathcing this one take shape!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    A tractor with a loader is on our wish list. Unfortunately, our tractor isn't 4WD and we've been advised against putting on a loader on it.
    Yes, you need/want a 4wd for a loader. But just about every "rent-a-center" in the country has small tractor/loader combinations available for a reasonable fee if you want to save your backs!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Scarpa
    Marty, I'm late coming to this thread. You are going to have one amazing shop when you are complete with it. I'm going to enjoy wathcing this one take shape!
    John,

Thanks for following along with my adventure. I'm enjoying watching my dream come to life as well.

- Marty -