Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dados

You can make a jig to use with your router that will give you the exact width of the board you're putting in the dado. I'll take a pic of mine if you like and it works perfectly with any router bit.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Thanks to all for your very helpful replies. I think I'm going to give it a shot with my router and see how it goes before investing in a good dado set. Alan T, I'd love it if you could post a picture of your jig.

I prefer to use the table saw -- and I do have a router table. I think the cuts are cleaner. Set up a featherboard if you are concerned about the wood being warped and not being held tight to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin
    I prefer to use the table saw -- and I do have a router table. I think the cuts are cleaner. Set up a featherboard if you are concerned about the wood being warped and not being held tight to the table.
    Hmmm...A feather board flattening the warp of a piece of 3/4" plywood? You must have some pretty beefy feather boards. Mine help keep wood in line but they aren't stiff enough to actually bend the wood itself.

I just have my little boy, (weighs about 60Lbs) stand on the plywood while I run it over the TS blade and it usually flattens it out. He has to be sure to keep his toes out of the way of the blade though. Anyone know who makes steel toe boots for a 7 year old? Maybe that bicycle tire trick would be a little safer...

Bruce

Hi Rob

I’ve just posted “Cutting dado with hand held router”.
    Have a look, maybe it will give you some ideas.

Regards
    niki

Here's a link to a very useful router dado jig: http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dado_1a_lg.jpg
    Here's another simpler one: http://www.newwoodworker.com/autodadojigpln.html

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin

I just have my little boy, (weighs about 60Lbs) stand on the plywood while I run it over the TS blade and it usually flattens it out. He has to be sure to keep his toes out of the way of the blade though. Anyone know who makes steel toe boots for a 7 year old? Maybe that bicycle tire trick would be a little safer...

Bruce
    I have a three and a five year old and that just made my stomach turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    I have a three and a five year old and that just made my stomach turn.
    Yea, and I suppose now you're going to tell me it it's wrong that I have my kids working down in the coal mine with me. Sheeh!

Bruce

O.K Bruce I'm going to have to report you to the Britney Spears child watchers of America. Now you'll have the whole world watching as you use your child as a jig in woodworking. Finally the pressure will be off Britney!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    Thanks to all for your very helpful replies. I think I'm going to give it a shot with my router and see how it goes before investing in a good dado set. Alan T, I'd love it if you could post a picture of your jig.
    Bruce B. has a link to the one I made. Here's the pic in his link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    O.K Bruce I'm going to have to report you to the Britney Spears child watchers of America. Now you'll have the whole world watching as you use your child as a jig in woodworking. Finally the pressure will be off Britney!
    Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag. I've been posting under an alias for a while now. I AM Britney Spears! I'm helping my husband, Keven, make a few extra bucks and start his own cabinet making/daycare business. If the press gets a hold of this I'm through!

Bruce, (AKA Britney)

No way Kevin is smart enough to run a cabinet business and the kids would be too smart for him.