Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Dust Gorilla Progress - 3

Super Dust Gorilla Progress - 3

Well this weekend was full of duct work hanging for me. In between family get togethers and yard work etc. I was able to spend some time in the shop getting the duct work hung.

So far everything is hung and I'm almost finished sealing the joints. I'm using alum. tape and silicone caulk.

I had to do a little creative shaping with a few adjustable 90's to get the drop to the CMS under and across the I-beam. You can see that in the 3rd and 4th photos.

I did a sound level test yesterday with one gate open (I'm actually waiting for a gate for OAS). The unit measures at 80 - 81 db at 10'. Not too bad. I can hear a few leaks so maybe once I'm completely done it might drop a little.

I should have everything done by the weekend. I need to get the shop back in order, its a disaster!

Thanks for looking,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Gabbay; 05-30-2006 at 9:34 AM.

Looks good Mike. Did Oneida come up with the design? Ducting my DC was an enjoyable experience. Turned out better than I had hoped.

On a humorous note, after spending much time and $$ ducting my 3HP Super Gorilla, my wife told me, she had seen on TV somebody on HGTV who "had a cart" that wheeled the DC around to each machine, and wouldn't that be better than "all those ugly pipes". She ask "couldn't you build a cart?".
    I assurred her I was happy with the DC and piping but I thought it was pretty funny.

Chris

Looks great Michael! Why did you decide to go with metal pipe rather than the 6" sewer plastic pipe? I am getting ready to start my ducting as well. I was planning to use the green sewer pipes. At $26 a ten foot section I figure that is affordable.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Julio,

I was able to get 6" 24 gauge spiral from Spiral Mfg. for 1.52 a foot. Now the fittings (wyes, elbows, etc) were the expensive part, but my guess is that holds true with the PVC as well.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKimson
    Julio,

Now the fittings (wyes, elbows, etc) were the expensive part, but my guess is that holds true with the PVC as well.

Chris
    Aint that the truth! Each PVC wye is $15!!

I havent bought all the pipe yet, so I just might have to look into the metal duct. I am glad you posted these pictures.\

Thanks

Julio - I like metal since you can reuse the fittings. With plastic, once it is glued then that is it, can't be moved....

I resued about 75% of my old duct work with the new design. That saved about $150 - $200.

Chris - OAS did the final design but Allan Johansan, other SMC'rs and I came up with the original design.

Mike

That's a really nice installation, Mike! Great job.

And Julio, PVC is becoming a more expensive option than it used to be due to the high price of oil. When you combine the closing cost gap with the flexibility you always have gotten with metal, metal is more attractive than it used to be. It was my choice from the start, however, due to the flexibility part...PVC is only available in limited, "even number" sizes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have never had a leak with PVC & I only glued it in one place. Then I figured these Joints sure seem awful tight when I put them together or take them apart when I do a oops so I use self drilling screws 2 or 3 to a joint & some joints don't have any.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I am interested in prices for 6" wyes and elbows and 6 to 5 and 5 to 4 reducers. How much did the total system cost. I have to do my shop and I have an older Oneida 1 1/2 hp retro fitted with an external filter. That retrofit almost doubled my flow volume. Presently, I am using a 25' length of 5" hose that I move from machine to machine. I would like to fix it right.

CPeter

CPeter,

The price of my 20 gauge fittings from Sprial Mfg were: 33.30 for a 6x6x6 wye; 10.74 for a 90 LR elbow; 10.17 for a 5 X 4 reducer. I didn't get any 6 X 5 reducers anytime I reduced from 6 to 5 it was with a reducing wye.

HTH

Chris

11. None of my PVC pipe is glued, in fact I had to use dish-soap and water mix to get them to go together nice.

I taped them up with that aluminium tape stuf, works fine.

Cheers!

Hiya Stu! Hows the turning coming along?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Julio Navarro
    Hiya Stu! Hows the turning coming along?
    round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and .......where was I....?

How is the cyclone project going, does it still suck...?

No, I wouldn't use the PVC glue for it, but put the fittings in place, then caulk around the seams for PVC pipe and fittings. That way you can still take it apart and redo things when (not if) your layout changes. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I used PVC for all my duct work and taped the joints with the metal tape used for air/heat ducts. The stuff seals like crazy and a utility knife around the seam will let you take it apart.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1