Thread: Table saw woes

Cool Table saw woes

Background: Delta 36-444 CS, less than two years old. Light to moderate use, usually w/stock 5/4 or less. Machined pulleys, link belt and used to easily pass the "penny test". Running a WWII, 1/8" kerf blade. Recently noticed a significant vibration, particularly on the right table extension. Checked for loose bolts and I think that's all OK. Felt the motor while running and can't feel any significant vibration at that end. Pulled off the belt and blade and started tugging on the arbor. The "up/down" play doesn't feel to exist at all. However, I do feel a tiny bit of play going "in/out" from the arbor (arbor/pulley). My Delta manual (bought the unit as a store demo) may not be complete, as there is no parts breakdown. Anyone run into this before on this flavor saw? Suggestions? The cuts appear to be holding very true, but it's bugging the bajeebers outta' me and I figure it will just get worse if I don't give it some TLC. Thanks.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,

Can't say for sure, but if it is cutting well, you may be ok. Like you've already done, go through everything and make sure nothing is loose, belts in line, etc... Sorry I can't be of much help. I do have a complete 34-445 Contractor Saw lit pak I can send you if you drop me a line with your address. It has the manual/parts list/saftey sheet etc... Might help to see the parts in relation, should be close to your saw.

Let me know and I'll have it in the mail.

John

John,
    I don't know the termenoligy so bear with me. The place where your motor connects to the table,, there is a pin (shaft) that allows it to swing free if the belt isn't on.
    With me so far???
    See if you can slide the motor from side to side with the pin in and the belt on. If this is the problem you may need to put a 1/16" washer in between the motor mount and the moter
    I have the same TS and was advised on this when I purchased it.
    Good luck, hope you can solve this problem, Doug

This may sound odd, but if the vibration isn't felt on the motor when it's running and only on the table, have you checked to ensure the saw is perfectly flat on the ground? Just a fraction of space under one corner will let it wiggle a little when it's running (usually more of a problem with contractors than cabinets). Just a thought...

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Background: Delta 36-444 CS, less than two years old. Light to moderate use, usually w/stock 5/4 or less. Machined pulleys, link belt and used to easily pass the "penny test". Running a WWII, 1/8" kerf blade. Recently noticed a significant vibration, particularly on the right table extension. Checked for loose bolts and I think that's all OK. Felt the motor while running and can't feel any significant vibration at that end. Pulled off the belt and blade and started tugging on the arbor. The "up/down" play doesn't feel to exist at all. However, I do feel a tiny bit of play going "in/out" from the arbor (arbor/pulley). My Delta manual (bought the unit as a store demo) may not be complete, as there is no parts breakdown. Anyone run into this before on this flavor saw? Suggestions? The cuts appear to be holding very true, but it's bugging the bajeebers outta' me and I figure it will just get worse if I don't give it some TLC. Thanks.
    John,

You might want to call Delta, their customer service has been excellent for me.

Gene

Change blades and see if it persist.

You may have a blade that has warped for some reason or may be missing teeth. Just suggestions, I have no idea.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Hey John

How is the right table extension attached to the saw? Could it be as simple as the table extension loosening up? Just a thought as I have a Jet CS so I don't know what the Delta looks like.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele
    This may sound odd, but if the vibration isn't felt on the motor when it's running and only on the table, have you checked to ensure the saw is perfectly flat on the ground? Just a fraction of space under one corner will let it wiggle a little when it's running (usually more of a problem with contractors than cabinets). Just a thought...

Be well,

Doc
    Don, two points for you! After exhausting pretty much all other venues, short of calling Delta, I revisited the posts and found that I didn't try your hunch. I've got the Excalibur fence/ext. table and overhead guard. For those unfamiliar with it, the guard mount attaches to the ext. table and rests on a single point to the floor. Apparently, mine had worked (or got kicked) out just a 1/2" or so. Squared it back up and the penny just sits there through the whole "on/run/off" cycle! Coolness!!!! Good catch, Don, and thanks to ALL who submitted suggestions, though I feel a bit sheepish in finding it was such an elementary oversight on my part.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!