Thread: Popular for a project (notes & finishing)?

Poplar for a project (notes & finishing)?

I know there are some poplar users here on the board.. I worked with my son on his new Futon (wood magazine plan) he's building for his first WoodShop project. Being 15 1/2 he needed to learn on something he can afford. He wanted to build it cheap as he could (since he's paying for half the wood -- well 1/4 anyway! since he didn't want to start w/something smaller) ... Link to picture below:

Sleeping Beauty Futon

Plans called for maple but I suggested he go with something cheaper. He still wanted maple but then he saw the price .. plus is calls for about 50bf of 1.5" material and 'bout 40bf of 4/4 stuff. I talked him into laminating 4/4 so we could build out of 4/4 soft maple. Then he got counting the cost @ 2.68$-bf which is a pretty good price but adds up. Plus he was looking at a sheet of 3/4" Maple Ply (70$) too in addition to 1/2" birch ply(60$)...

We looked around, considered Australian Cypress (1.95bf)(too soft), Red Oak(no savings over maple), Alder (to many knots but great price @ 1.92 bf any qty) .. Found some #1 Maple a bit cheaper but a lot of knots to cut around ..

To make a long story short he decided on poplar, we sorted out S&B got 121bf -- he's going to laminate to get thicker stuff .. plenty extra to cover mistakes @ 1.57bf.

We went with all birch for the plywood... I am thinking here about how to finish it now..

Thinking on working on a mellow golden/amber tone ... to even out the variance. We picked almost all white wood with no green streaks, just some brown streaks here & there. One piece that has strong brown coloring which we plan to use for the top & bottom of futon platform. I looking for tips here.. I don't want to go just clear, but the grain is pretty nice and painting is out. This will not be a show piece but that doesn't mean he can't give it his best effort. My son does want me to leave him alone building it (which I will - mostly ) but he wants help on the finish.. It's just poplar and birch but we ought to be able to make it look even in tone.

How do you guys finish poplar ...?? Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Michael Cody; 09-07-2003 at 2:33 AM.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Hi Mike,

The thought of bleaching the piece came to mind but if the color is somewhat the same throughout the finished piece I'd just use oil based poly. What about a pickling stain perhaps? I can't wait until others suggest something, this is an interesting one.

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

The legs of my bench are Poplar & I used Minwax Golden Oak & it seemed to draw the color together. My favorite finish is wipe on water based Polyurethane . Wipe it on spread out the rags to dry then throw them away.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen