Thread: Turned my first hollow vessel

Turned my first hollow vessel

I was out in the shop - trying to clean & organize it - when I pulled out my smaller chainsaw. It's been stalling out after running for just a minute so I figured that I'd check it out while I had it in front of me. I got it running & said hey why not cut a bowl blank while I'm here. There went the cleaning & organizing - now that I had a blank I just had to turn it Any way it's pretty cool wood from a tree, at my Church, that had a big part come down from a storm. Some one said it's some kind of willow - but I'm not sure.

Anyway as I was turning the wood it almost screamed at me - I want to be a hollow vessel! Who am I to argue - just because I don't have any hollowing tools. so I started turning it & I started hollowing with my 3/8" bowl gouge & that got about 1/2" or so into the bowl. Then I tried various makeshift tools like big drill bits & such. I finally had good luck with a real small hand chisel. The hollowed inside could be nicer - but I'm real pleased with it. It looks kind of like a flying saucer - like Dave Peebles designs - I don't mean it's as nice as Dave's just that style. I can't post pics because after I took them the smart card adapter got stuck in my 3.5" bay & I can't get it out.

I'm just so thrilled that I was able to do this & have it turn out nice that I wanted to share it. I think this is my new favorite bowl style - I'll try to get the pics up tomorrow. Thanks.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Tom,

I see you and I tried hollowing at about the same time.

I'd like to find a hollowing tool that works well. The Sorby Multi-Tip worked ok but I'd like something with a longer handle (maybe I'll make one).
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Tom, I don't believe your story. No pics to prove it.
    Jim

Oh ye of little faith

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young
    Tom, I don't believe your story. No pics to prove it.
    I got the smart card adapter out of my 3.5" drive bay (remember those) But I still can't get it to work on my computer. I'll post the pics tomorrow from work - I know it works there - as they say the proof is in the pudding
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sweeney
    I got the smart card adapter out of my 3.5" drive bay (remember those) But I still can't get it to work on my computer. I'll post the pics tomorrow from work - I know it works there - as they say the proof is in the pudding
    I DO NOT recommend pudding in your 3.5" drive bay, either....

Pictures please!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I see it now, Tom's out in the shop trying to crank out a hollow form.
    Jim