Thread: advice on sewing machine project

advice on sewing machine project

i have the remains of an old pedal type sewing machine, only the stand, table top and drawers. i have heard of replacing the existing wood table top with a thick piece of glass to make a desk of it. i have never seen this done and wonder if anyone has a picture of one of these for me to use as a model or can someone direct me to a website picturing this type of project? i would also appreciate advice on whether or not to refinish the existing wood, now under a couple coats of hideous green paint, and putting the glass top over the wood? then the drawers could be useful rather than having only a metal stand and glass table top.

then next question is if i use the wood part of the machine, what is the best way to fasten the glass top to the wood? i know clear r.t.v. or silicone will work, but would that be unsightly looking down thru the glass? should i put a thin veneer plywood over the sewing machine wood since it has all the holes and cutouts for mounting the actual sewing machine?

anyone with experience on such a project, or just good advice, please advise. thanks, steve

Steve, I don't have any advice on the sewing machine cabinet question, but I'd suggest posting your question in the General Woodworking forum. It'll get more eyes there. The Sawmill Creek Welcoming Committee hasn't seen your post yet.

(And if any moderators happen to see this thread, might I suggest moving it to the General forum?)

- Vaughn

Steven

What Vaughn said - support forum is really about issues related to the operation of the forum. I just wanted to say HI in case you thought we were being unfriendly.