Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Question

Electric Question

I moving 110 and 220 lines. The original setup was using 2 single gang baxes one on top of the other with conduit to the ceiling. After moving them I was going to have the 2 lines in the same box (dual gang).

First, is that code legal?

Second has anyone seen a plate that has one side 110/120 outlet and the other side 240? I've looked around the net and have not found any.

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    After moving them I was going to have the 2 lines in the same box (dual gang).
    Michael,

Where I live it's not allowed by code. I used dual gang boxes for the same intent and the inspector (on rough inspection) really quizzed me on why I had a dual gang with 240 lines. He said no can do... It may be different in your area - not sure...

Second has anyone seen a plate that has one side 110/120 outlet and the other side 240? I've looked around the net and have not found any.
    What I _was_ going to use were those "build-a-facelate" faceplates. They're dove tailed such that you can snap together what you want. Home Depot sells them (again where I live.)

Larry

Don't do it. Just use two boxes. If you have 110V and 220V in the same box it's way to easy to get them mixed up. Next person that owns your house might get seriously injured or some unsuspecting electrician.

I don't know for a fact, but I have serious doubt it would be allowed by code.

I don't think it's allowed anywhere per the NATIONAL Electrical Code.

One box (or gang box) one circuit.
    Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess it is one box one circuit.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    I moving 110 and 220 lines. The original setup was using 2 single gang baxes one on top of the other with conduit to the ceiling. After moving them I was going to have the 2 lines in the same box (dual gang).

First, is that code legal?

Thanks, Mike
    I put my 110v and 220v in the same box. Wished I hadn't. Only plates I could find were the plastic ones at $5 a piece.

mike h

Folks - there is nothing I'm aware of in the NEC that says you can't have 120v and 240v circuits in the same box. I may not be a licensed electrician, but I guarantee that I've read the code a lot more than most people. For anyone who is telling you that it's against the NEC, ask them to identify the code article that prohibits it. For the folks that posted in this thread - if you're not sure about something, please don't say that "the code doesn't allow it" or similar. That's how legends develop. Just because it might not make sense to you doesn't mean that it's not allowed or, frankly, that it's unsafe.

There are requirements specific to having multiple circuits on the same yoke. That means if you splitwire a receptacle from a multiwire circuit, you'd effectively need to use a 2-pole breaker or have handle ties on single breakers. The requirement in this case is that both hot conductors are opened at the same time by the circuit's disconnecting means (the breaker). Ironically enough, it has never been a requirement that multiple circuits in the same box have a common disconnect.

Other requirements that apply to multiple circuts in the same box are that all the conductors have to be rated for the voltage of the highest voltage circuit. In our case with residential, we're covered because anything we run will be rated for at least 240v.

Larry - when the inspector told you "No", I would have politely asked him for a code reference disallowing it. You can always say that you're just trying to make sure that you follow the applicable rules. When he didn't get back to you with a specific code citation disallowing it, you could have politely said "I guess we both learned something then" or similar. I know folks are afraid of upsetting the inspector, but my experiences with our inspectors has been nothing but positive (and that includes a red tag on an inspection because there was something I missed - fire stop caulking).

Rob

Rob - I'll double check the NEC. I have marked both line 110 and 220 so if I ever move the new owner should be able to easily tell which is which.

Thanks, Mike

9. I'm with Rob

There is nothing in the NEC that prohibits putting the 120v & 220v power in the same box. As long as the box is sized to handle all of the wires in it, the wire is rated for the same voltage, and the voltage between any 2 conductors is not over 250v (if it is you need a barrier between the different conductors) it is perfectly legal to put the (2) receptacles in the same box.

as for a cover, if you have a surface mounted 4" square box you could use:

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/r...1076,1645,9306

or if recessed:

go here http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catalog/
    and search for product No: 84046-40

Just my 2 cents

Mike

All of my 220v boxs also have 110v receptacles in them. All the work was done by a licensed electrician. There in no code in my area prohibiting it. My electrican said that since you can plug one device into another outlet it's within code. I bought my cover plates at the local home center. (The orange borg) They snap together and allows different combinations.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, I want to revise my earlier post. You can run 220 to the box and tap a 110 from it. Why? Because it's still one circuit as only one breaker is protecting it.

I still maintain though that you can only have one circuit in a devise box. The same MAY apply to junction boxes as well (excluding breaker/fuse boxes).

It's only been about 25 years since I worked as an electrician so things might be a little fuzzy but, I clearly recall that multiple circuits in one devise enclosure is a no-no.

If I'm wrong then so be it but I try to err on the side of caution in these cases.
    Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

Tim,

Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to be argumentative. I feel rather strongly, however, that this is one of those example cases where people make statements that need to be supported by a code reference.

There is nothing that I can find - anywhere - in articles 210 (Branch Circuits), 300 (Wiring Methods) or 314 (Outlet, Device,Pull and Junction Boxes ...) that says you can't have multiple circuits in a box. Frankly, it doesn't make sense to me that such a rule would exist - it would make commercial wiring a real bear. Think of offices where there are switch banks of 10 or 12 switches for banks of lighting. That can't be just 1 circuit.

Please find the NEC article that supports your position. If I'm wrong I'll admit it and very gladly learn something new about what's in the NEC.

Rob

Smile

Rob is right, there is no NEC article that prohibits 2 circuits in one box, its done a lot in commercial and industrial.For the record I am an electrician.
    Also to run a 110 circuit from a 220 circuit you would also have to pull neutral wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Larry - when the inspector told you "No", I would have politely asked him for a code reference disallowing it.Rob
    Rob,

I suppose I could/should have questioned him. To be honest though when he was out for inspection we were both more concerned about a run I had made from my main panel to a sub panel in the garage. For me it was such a simple fix by mounting another box on the opposite side of the stud and pulling the 110v circuit in there. (Was still in the rough out stage.)

Now I really feel bad, I certainly didn't want to start or contribute to any false internet folklore/rumors. Sorry folks.

Larry

I guess I stirred the pot!

Based on everyone's comments, I'll leave it as 2 separate lines coming into te box one for 110/120 and one for 220/240. Since I've marked the lines it shoul dnot be that big of a problem to identify them.

Thanks,
    Mike