Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

I see people posting the term "BF" does this mean Board foot? This I also presume is different from linier foot. If someone could explain it would be appreciated.
    BTW my first project will be I hope a simple but very nice picture frame. Still got to get out the pencil & paper to make a plan. I am also looking for some nice wood to make it with.

Steven Mendes

1 board foot of wood = 144 cubic inches.

For example a piece of wood measuring 12" x 12" x 1" thick is 1BF.

To calculate total Board Feet it is thickness(in) x face width(in) x length (in)/144

Linear foot is the length of the wood regardless of its width or thickness.

There is a good explanation of the differences between softwood and hardwood bf calcs here also...
    http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...oard_Foot.html
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Hi Steven, Here is a site for just about anything you could possibly want to calculate.
    http://csgnetwork.com/constructionconverters.html
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Hi Steven. I bet you never thought that so much information could be wrapped around "bf" did ya?!!

Wen you go to a lumber yard, lumber can be sold by the board foot (bf) or by the linear foot (lf).

If lumber is "in the rough", it is sold by the bf. Lumber might also be sold that has been surfaced on 1, 2 or 3 sides. (S1S, S2S or S3S respectively). In these forms, it is also sold by the bf, and costs more each time a side gets dressed.

However, lumber that has been dressed on all 4 sides (S4S) is typically sold by the linear foot, and subsequently costs more than rough or partially dressed lumber.

Your tool inventory, or access to tooling, or the time you have available for dressing your own lumber, will dictate which form you can purchase. Rough, and SxS llumber is usually priced pretty close, but once it reaches S4S, the price really goes up.

Looking forward to seeing that picture frame!