Thread: Slow wet Grinder

Slow wet Grinder

Do any of you think that if I build a slow grinder using a 1725 RPM motor & a jack shaft to further slow it down that it would be slowed down enough to keep it from flinging water from a water bath at the bottom of the wheel, say about 70 - 90 RPM?

The last week end of August I got to use Sophie's Tormek. The amount of control is a factor for the good tool rest even on a regular 1725 RPM Grinder, but I found that the slower cooler grinding wheel turning away from me made it easier to concentrate on the fingernail grind that I was trying to make on my 3 different size lathe gouges. The tool holders are such a big help that I couldn't even begin to put a value on them.

I plan to purchase just the tool holders from Tormek that I need to go with my home made slow grinder.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

I believe I can make a slow wet grinder for a whole lot less that the cost of a Tormek.

I want to use the grinder mostly for sharpening lathe tools. I use the scary sharp method for my chisels & hand plane blades.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-10-2003 at 1:01 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Grinders like the Tormek (or your proposed shop-built version) are really great for flat tools like plane irons and chisels that suffer from heat during the grinding process. (They are generally not HHS) But as you get more and more involved (hee hee) with turning, you'll probably find them to be way too slow given you'll be sharpening every few minutes. The HHS in good turning tools is much more tolerant of heat so a 1725 or 3650 rpm 8" grinder is what you will find that most turners use...and they get the job done much faster. Turning tools need to be sharp, but rarely are honed (a skew could be one exception). Such a keen edge will not last anyway, so the time taken to achieve it is largely wasted. My recommendation would be to build the machine if you want to, but have a "regular" grinder setup conveniently near your lathe. IMHO, of course!

BTW, you'll really need to slow that motor down for "wet work"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bart, A Tormek runs 90 rpm
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

I've actually had a similar thought, but wanted to build one w/ a stone running flat. The question is where can you get a shaft that's waterproof and won't leak so you can attach it to a bath w/ the shaft at the bottom and completely submerged??

No idea where one might find this...any clues?

Perry

Saw a new one in the Woodcraft catalog

I just received the new Woodcraft cat. last night and noticed that they have a new wet, horizontal slow speed grinder with a 1000 grit wheel.

I don't remember the RPM nor the size of the wheel, BUT it was $89.99 if my memory (what was that again) is close and a $39.99 planner, jointer blade holder to sharpen up to 12" blades.

I want to see this one.

I use the SEARS utility sharpener slow speed grinder for some of my sharpening. You'll need to make a jig for it as the rests are plastic junk. I got mine on sale for $20, reg $30. Had a Gift Cert. so it cost me even less. Wheel spins both directions also.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Schmidt
    I've actually had a similar thought, but wanted to build one w/ a stone running flat. The question is where can you get a shaft that's waterproof and won't leak so you can attach it to a bath w/ the shaft at the bottom and completely submerged??
    Perry, What about running the flat wheel at an angle so that the wheel dips down into a water bath , yet the shaft is above the water? Can't say as I've seen this but............
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-12-2003 at 7:01 AM.

[QUOTE=Paul Downes]
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Schmidt

Perry, What about running the flat wheel at an angle so that the wheel dips down into a water bath , yet the shaft is above the water? Can't say as I've seen this but............
    Worth trying...when I got time I might have to try that. I got a 3/4HP motor from an old power tool which is just sitting around, begging to be made into something. So I've been trying to figure this one out for a while. As long as I can construct an decent sliding blade mount sideways would work...

Thanks,

Perry