Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turner Interview - Ken Fitzgerald

1. Turner Interview - Ken Fitzgerald

Name: Ken Fitzgerald

DOB: 1949

Physical description (G-rated, please)
    6'1" 245lbs....gray hair receding fast

Location (for how long, previous locations, etc)
    I was raised oil field trash and served 8 years in the Navy so I'll just say Lewiston Idaho for 24 years and Illinois, Georgia, Oregon, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Texas and Mississippi.

Family information (brag on your spouse, kids, grandkids, dog, etc)
    Been married to the LOML, Sharon for 37 years. 3 adult children, 5 grandchildren, soon to be great grandparents. Oldest son is a local deputy sheriff, daughter works for an airline in Phoenix, AZ and youngest son is a dental school student at the University of Texas Houston. Oldest son served 9 years in the Army; youngest son served 5 years in the Navy and is in the inactive reserves. LOML is a CNA and works as a special ed. teaching assistant.

Vocation (what do you do for a living, and what have you done previously)
    I am a service engineer for a large corporation where I install and maintain CT & MR scanners and x-ray equipment. In the Navy I worked as an electronics technician maintiaining equipments in air traffic control centers and aboard a subtender repairing equipments aboard fast attack subs. I have worked as a carpenter, numerous factory jobs, oil field roughneck, a draftsman and as a farm laborer. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

Website?
    No

Equipment Overview (lathe, tools, etc)
    lathe, a/c, SCMS, lunchbox thickness planer, benchtop 6" jointer, t/s, drillpress, numerous handtools

How many lathes have (or do) you own? Tell us about 'em.
    1. the "Bomb"...Jet VS Mini

How many turning tools do you have?
    12 or so....too many....not enough

Tell us about your shop
    The LOML had a empty shell 24'x30' with 10' ceilings built. 2x6 construction, poured footing, wall, floor. I've painted it, insulated the walls to R19; the ceiling insulated to R-38. I installed a separate meter box and 200 amp electrical service. Walls finished with 1/2" ply and ceiling with 5/8" sheetrock. I WAS mudding the ceiling until the BOMB showed up.

How long turning?
    since mid-February 2006

What got you into turning?
    I was shoved into the vortex by the inmates here.

What do you enjoy most about turning?
    The surpirses you find while you're turning and the continuing education process.

What was your first completed turned project?
    Andy's s/n 1 Official Idaho Salmon Bonker

What is your favorite form that you turn?
    Tough one due to my inexperience....the latest mahogany bowl I turned and the few boxes I've turned

What is your favorite form someone else turns/has turned?
    NEs and HFs

What is your favorite wood to work with and why?
    so far...Honduran Mahogany....turns and finishes well

Have you met or hung out with any turnin' Creekers? Tell us about it.
    Robert Ducharme....he came all the way from Colorado to get the wood from my english walnut tree that was removed to build my shop. Nice guy! Had a great time visiting with him. But there's a lot more I'd like to spend time with!

What is your favorite individual piece that you have turned, and why?
    My latest mahogany bowl....it turned out like I imagined it.

What is your favorite piece someone else has turned, and why?
    Tough.....anybodys HF or NE...

What do you not turn now that you want to - or plan to - in the future?
    NE's and HFs

What brought you to SMC?
    I was at a manufacturer's unmoderated site where a lot of flaming was going on. Someone there mentioned this site.

Got any nicknames? How'd you get it?
    2.....Fitz...of course.....and my hillbilly relatives call me "Kenny Paul" ....please don't!

(Editor's note: Uh oh, KEN... now you've gone a done it...)

Now let's get a little deep... If you were a tree, what tree would you be and why?
    Oak..........It doesn't take details well, it's not the smoothest thing even when finished....but it's big, strong and will be there when you need something tough and lasting!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Cothren; 06-05-2006 at 4:13 PM.

Mark.................I said "Please".............
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-05-2006 at 4:33 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welll Kenny Paul, that was a real nice interview with a real nice guy. No doubt in my mind that you are that- a nice guy. Lovely family and let me say if the worse thing that this bunch on the Creek ever does to you is throw you kicking and screaming into the vortex you are getting off easy. You are one of the good guys!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Damn! I knew if I was 100% honest with that nickname....I'd hear about it! I don't suppose it's going to end soon either!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-05-2006 at 4:52 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well, Mr. Kenny Paul, oops sorry Mr. Fitz, I enjoyed your interview and like Mr. Big Mike said, you are one of the nice guys. I've enjoyed watching your journey into spindom, or spendom as some call it. You have a great looking family as well !!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Great interview "FITZ"! It is good to get to know the man standing under the BOMB. You have a fine looking family that is probably as proud of you as you obviously are of them. thanks for sharing.

SEE, I didn't even call you Kenny Paul....That should earn me some suck up points!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Well Kenny Paul,
    Let me first say that you are one of my favorite personalities here on the Creek, and the Bomb could not have fallen on a more deserving guy.

Thanks for including the photo of your beautiful family. What with Sharon’s good looks and your…well, err, ahhh…personality, yes that’s it, personality, it is no wonder that each and every one of your progeny and their loved ones appears to me as a person I would be delighted to meet. I can tell from here that being around Ken is a very good thing indeed!

Oh, Ken, re: that Kenny Paul thing, please remember that I owed you one for that remark you made suggesting that I may need a colonic. I may or may not use it again, but as Lee suggests, one cannot have too much ammo.

Always good to know more of you my friend,
    Frank

I basically stumbled upon SMC. Fitz compelled me to stay in one conversation. Definitely one of the stars of this show. Nice interview.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Nice to know you better.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Great interview [yep. here it comes again] Kenny Paul

Great interview Ken.........ny Paul! I'm thrilled to see the fruits of the "bombing" come to bear.
    Beautiful family Ken, great job.

Great interview Ken. Glad to get to know you better. I have enjoyed watching you blossom since the bomb dropped. You are definately one of the nice guys. Nice looking family. Naw I ain't goin to do it. Thanks Ken.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

KP, if the nickname Fitz, wear it.

Glad to know a bit more about you, Ken.

- Vaughn

Great to know more about you, Ken!
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Ken, it has been fun watching you grow with your new lathe. Your doing well buddy. Looking forward to seeing you finish your shop. Nice looking family Ken.

Corey