Name: Steven Michael Ash

DOB: April 16, 1958

Physical description (G-rated, please)
6'1, 235 lbs. Used to have long white blonde hair, now it is just turning white.

Location (for how long, previous locations, etc)
I was born here in Charlotte, but my dad sold the farm in 1973 and moved to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I lived there for 22 years and moved back to Charlotte in 1996.

Family information (brag on your spouse, kids, grandkids, dog, etc)
I am happily married for almost 27 years to Judy. She works for the County as a purchasing agent ( I think that is what she does?) We have 2 sons, Steve Jr. age 25, he just became elgible to be a journeyman electrician. Our other son Christopher is 20. Was a pretty good football player and had 4 small colleges looking at him to play for them. He is also an electrician. We have a deceased daughter Kristen who would be 21.

Vocation (what do you do for a living, and what have you done previously)
I am a full time licensed and insured building contractor and have owned my own business since 1989, prior to that I farmed 2,000 acres along with raising cattle and hogs with my dad and brother.

Website?
www.steveashbuilder.com

Equipment Overview (lathe, tools, etc)
Just restored a 1951 Oliver 159 M lathe. Don't have much in the way of tools for it yet...bowl gouge, scraper, skew and parting tool.

How many lathes have (or do) you own? Tell us about 'em.
Just one, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36018

How many turning tools do you have?
4 unless you can count sandpaper as a turning tool.

(Editor's note: LOL! I can relate!!!)

Tell us about your shop
It is a 32 x 48 primarily set up to make cabinets and furniture, equipped with Delta TS, Mini max shaper, Jet bandsaw, grizzly dust collector, Delta drill press, Norm style router table, Delta X5 15" planer (a gift from my dad) and the usual other drills, sanders etc. that go with a shop, and of course the Oliver lathe.

How long turning?
3 months

What got you into turning?
My son wanted a lathe in the shop so he would have something to do out there, so I bought one and "got hooked"

What do you enjoy most about turning?
My wifes excitement when I make something for her, bring it in the house and say "it's for you"

What was your first completed turned project?
A glued up goblet

What is your favorite form that you turn?
I'm so new at this I'll have to say pens and bowls

What is your favorite form someone else turns/has turned?
All of you guys and gals that turn and post pictures I am in awe over and amazed at how you all do it and all are done so well...so I'd say all of you and what you are making.

What is your favorite wood to work with and why?
Cherry, it smells good.

Have you met or hung out with any turnin' Creekers? Tell us about it.
Jim Young and Matt Meiser both have lathes and I've been to meetings with them, Jim Young has been to my place. Paul Downes has been here too. I have met a bunch of creekers who aren't turners and planning on meeting a few more in a few weeks. All nice people and are great to learn from.

What is your favorite individual piece that you have turned, and why?
The birdseye maple bowl and saucer would have to be it because it has some interesting grain and birdseye figure to it.

What is your favorite piece someone else has turned, and why?
Probably the hollow forms I see you all doing are my favorites, they are just beautiful to look at.

What do you not turn now that you want to - or plan to - in the future?
Hollow forms and NE turnings

What brought you to SMC?
Surfing for woodworking information

Got any nicknames? How'd you get it?
Ashman, some of my gearhead buddies use to refer to my shop as the Ashman garage and it just kinda stuck from there

Now let's get a little deep... If you were a tree, what tree would you be and why?
Easy one.....Ash, big, strong and they don't break...helps to have a last name the same too.