Thread: poulan 330 chainsaw problems

poulan 330 chainsaw problems

My wife thought she was doing me a favor and bought me a 22 " poulan 330 chainsaw. I can not get this thing to run for more than a few seconds before it dies. its brand new and I even broke down and read the manual twice. any help would be wonderful. <!-- Message body ''"" -->
    Last edited by Jason Boushard; 06-05-2006 at 10:12 PM.

poulan 330 chainsaw problems

When I use my chain saw the forst time after it sits a while, I choke it to start, then immediately open the choke part way and let it warm up, then open up the rest of the way. If you are not opening the choke after it starts it could be starving for air.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Don't most chain saw distributors crank it up initially for the customer to ensure it is running properly and the oiler is up to snuff? I would carry it back to the shop and let them take care of it.

Stan,

Yes most chainsaw shops will do that, but I don't know of any shops which actually carry and sell the Poulan brand. Poulan, McCulloch, and others are generally homeowner grade machines carried by borgs and farm stores. You get a saw, a box, and a book in five languages.

Kyle in K'zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Thigpen
    Don't most chain saw distributors crank it up initially for the customer to ensure it is running properly and the oiler is up to snuff? I would carry it back to the shop and let them take care of it.
    Not if it's bought at a store that is not a "dealer". Retail stores don't do this kind of thing...or at least I've never seen a Wal Mart employee or HD employee fuel, oil up the saw and fire it up.

BTW Stan....where are you in Alabama? I lived there for 40 years and am now in Arkansas due to job change. Huntsville, Montgomery, Birmingham, Gadsden, Slap Out, or Gum Pond?
    BTW, my parents live in Huntsville, In-Laws in Prattville and Alex City. Other relatives are in Union Grove and Arab.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Oops, I didn't think of that. I use Stihl saws, only from specialty small engine/outdoor equipment shops.

Kyle, I'm in B'ham, and have never knowingly visited Slapout or Gum Pond. I lived in Huntsville in '68 and attended UAH for a season till Uncle Sam requested my services.

Nobody has thought to point out that, although Poulan wouldn't be my first choice in a chainsaw either, it's the thought behind a gift that counts. Your wife deserves serious spousal points for making the effort to buy you a "guy toy". I'd say you should give her a big hug and a "Thank You".

I wasn't casting aspersions on Poulan saws, just stating that I failed to consider that it would have had to come from a big box store rather than a specialty shop. And I can appreciate that his wife provided such a gift. My wife often gives me wood-working tools on special occasions and I very well understand the need to just say "thank you" with a big hug.

Not sure this would help but a few years ago I saw two guys having the same thing with a brand new Stihl, They had the brake on and cold it would stall it every time.
    Mike