Thread: New DeWalt Planer - what are the facts?

New DeWalt Planer - what are the facts?

OK, it's killing me...I've heard about the new DeWalt Benchtop planer, but that's pretty much it. Heard one is coming out. Since I'll be in the market (hopefully) end of this year, early next year for one (and just because I'm impatient), what's the stats on this thing - anyone know?

What I've heard from different rumors:

- 98lbs ('benchtop' might be a stretch...)
    - Sug. Retail around $500
    - 3 blades instead of two
    - 2-speeds
    - 13"

any of this true? Anyone know some real concrete info on this? What are the two speeds? Does it use blades that can be resharpened or disposable? When is it suppose to be out??

Very curious - thanks,

Perry

Haven't seen one but...

Perry,

I have only seen a small picture, but Wood Magazie did a short review of it in the recent issue.

It has two speeds, three knives and has 13" in capacity. The knives are disposable (as opposed the the old Dewalt planer which has sharpenable knives). I can't recall the suggested retail, but I think $500 is close. As I recall, the review said that with the three knives, the slow speed was not even necessary and that there was virtually no ability to distinguish between boards planed at high speed and low speed...both were excellent. Overall, they really liked it. The only downside that I recall mentioned in the review was the weight. If memory serves, the way the beds are designed, there is no ability for the planer to snipe at the ends of stock either. The overall design is more like the large industrial-type planers that you see elsewhere.

Hope that this helps.

-- Mark

Mark is correct, there is a short feature on the machine(s) on page 34 of the October 2003 Issue of WOOD Magazine that speaks about the DW735 and speaks briefly about the DW734, a re-issue of the DW733. Both have disposable knives now like the Delta machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

$449 at Lowes...

The Lowes by me, Phillipsburg NJ, has them at $449, just $5 more than the Delta 2 speed. Nice looking machine, very solid and compact. As with any new machinery, I don't want to be the first to have one, so I am waiting for a few more reviews.

-dan

Wink

If memory serves correctly, there's also been mention that the DeWalt is loud....go figure...it's a planer!

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    If memory serves correctly, there's also been mention that the DeWalt is loud....go figure...it's a planer!
    Yup...108 dB. Do NOT use this kind of machine without hearing protection period, not even for "just a little cut".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...