Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw: Craftsman 10", 12", or 14"?

Bandsaw: Craftsman 10", 12", or 14"?

This is a reality check post, so feel free to be blunt.....

I'm leaning heavily toward purchasing a new Craftsman bandsaw which will be used mostly for curve cutting and similar general purpose cuts. I'm almost "jigged-up" (Tolpin's Table Saw Magic) to the point where I could resaw 6" wide boards on my 10" contractor's saw, but haven't tried it. I'm not sure I'd really need to resaw that much anyway--maybe due to my approach or maybe because of lack of knowledge. I figure with a 6" jointer, I wouldn't need to resaw anything wider anyway.

I'm leaning toward Craftsman bandsaws because it seems like they have the best features for the money. The saw wouldn't get very heavy use--10 hours per month max.

Here are the options and the features which stand out:

10" Bandsaw
    $130, 1/3 HP, 4 5/8" resaw, 1/2" max blade, 1 speed, no stand, fence
    It'll get the curve cutting done without a major expense.

12" Bandsaw
    $300, 3/4 hp, 6" resaw, 1/2" max blade, 2 speed, stand, drift fence
    Curve cutting and maybe some resawing for less money than the 14"

14" Bandsaw
    $400, 1 HP, 8" resaw, 3/4" max blade, 2 speed, stand, drift fence

(Prices are after Craftsman club discount.)
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

All of the above saws have ball bearing blade guides. I like the Craftsman 14" over the Grizzly 14" because it has decent resaw height without adding a riser block.

Blog Entries
    You can often find used Craftsman 12" BS used or at estate sales since they seem to have proliferated like Toyota Camrys did a few years ago. they're everywhere. If a 10" will do you, check out the Ryobi (yes Ryobi) with the 'award winning' integral dust collection. In the review I read the saw won for it's inovative dust collection feature so I'm expecting the quality is about normal for the Ryobi line.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gjl.0&MID=9876

The Craftsmans your link point to are actually made by Rikon which is a well received saw. IMHO superior to the Ryobi. the only reason I mention the Ryobi is the quiet noise levels and superior dust collection. Sometimes one quality overrides another but eveyone seems to LOVE their Rikons.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-07-2006 at 11:40 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I vote 14"
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Andy ~ 14"

Glenn ~ I believe the Craftsman bandsaws are made by Yukon.

I vote 14" in anything but a Craftsman (Crapsman?). I sold a 12" Craftsman and couldn't get anything for it. Believe I settled for $25.00.

OK, OK, I'll spend more money and get a 14"!

It will be useful to have the extra room for the curves.

Interestingly, the Craftsman 14" has a resaw height of 8", but the Rikon only has 6" and is $50 more: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5217 I'll have to measure the C-man in person now.

Frank, I'm pretty skeptical of Craftsman too, but it looks like these saws are breaking out of the bad rep. with a different manufacturer. I'll remain skeptical though. I returned a C-man drill press a few years ago and bought a Delta instead.

14". Even if you only "cut small", the extra height, weight an motor horsepower will be better for overall woodworking. It's also better for resale later...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox

Interestingly, the Craftsman 14" has a resaw height of 8", but the Rikon only has 6" and is $50 more: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5217 I'll have to measure the C-man in person now.

Frank, I'm pretty skeptical of Craftsman too, but it looks like these saws are breaking out of the bad rep. with a different manufacturer. I'll remain skeptical though. I returned a C-man drill press a few years ago and bought a Delta instead.
    The Grizzly G0555 is 1 hp, about $480.00 but only a 6" thickness limit without optional riser. Mine is my most used 'go to' tool in my shop and as dependable as anything can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox

I know the Rikon and Craftsman look very similar and they may even be made on the same assembly line. But I question whether or not Rikon even makes their own saw. If they do, why would they make one for Sears, make it with better features, (cast iron wheels for Sears versus aluminum for Rikon, more resaw, and one or two others I don't remember right now) and then allow them to sell it for less money? That doesn't make much sense to me so that's why I doubt that Rikon made either saw. I could be wrong but that sure is stupid of Rikon to do that then.

I've recently seen another thread somewhere about this same issue and a couple of people also claimed that Rikon made them both. How do you know this? In that thread I asked this same question and nobody who made the claim came up with an answer. I might believe a Rikon manager or technician but I doubt I'd believe the sales person taking orders. Either way, I've seen the Craftsman but not the Rikon. The Craftsman seemed like a pretty solid saw despite the lousy assembly done by the local Sears tool guys. If you can live with only 8" of resaw, (versus 12" with a 6" riser block on other 14" saws) then I think you'd do well with the Craftsman. I can't see any reason why someone would buy the Rikon version at all except for some silly, anti-Craftsman garbage.

Bruce

I bought the Rikon 14 about 6 months ago. It has been a fine little saw. Who knows about Rikon building the Craftsman....I didn't consider Craftsman in my selection. The only down side I have found with the Rikon is it is not expandable for more resaw. I've been resawing 6" oak and walnut with little problem but of course it isn't going as fast as say a MM20.
    I would definitely go with a 14 over a 10 or 12 inch saw.

Blog Entries
    I think you'll find that the 10" saw is little better than a toy. It will cut thin stock adequately well, but has severe limitations due to size. The 12" saw though bigger still has very limited resaw potential and the small throat size will be come apparent on the first or second thing you try to cut. I would go with the 14", but would strongly recommend Delta instead of Craftsman for the parts availablity stand point and potential resale value. Woodworkers Supply has it for $419. http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...28-276&go=5228
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have the 12" Craftsman and have used it for over 6 month It will actually resaw to 7". I got mine when they first came out. Both the 12" and the 14" are great saws. They are made by Palmgren same as the Pro series Lathe that Craftsman sells.

Bigger is always better. Go with the 14" since the cost isn't that much more. What length blades does it take? I try to stay away from equipment where you have to go back to the same store or special order accesories.

Update:

Now I'm comparing the Grizzly 14" G0555 to the Craftsman 14". The Grizz has more resaw (12" with a riser block). But, the Craftsman has cast iron wheels, larger table (20-3/8 x 15-3/4), and a fence adjustable for drift (I think the Grizz has this too?), 2 dust ports, and it's about $90 cheaper (including tax) than the Grizz with a riser. I'm going to Sears tonight to check out the saw, and maybe buy it.

The Craftsman takes a 99-3/4 in. blade. Is that going to be a problem at all? I'll probably order a few Timberwolf blades.

Edit:
    Also, is the steel frame of the Craftsman an advantage over the Grizz's cast iron?

Don Baer solves the mystery maker quandery! Thanks, it sounds like maybe Palmgren is at least as good Grizzly, but less well-known?

And, good to hear from a satisfied user of this line of saws. I read your old posts about the 12" saw. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    I have the 12" Craftsman and have used it for over 6 month It will actually resaw to 7". I got mine when they first came out. Both the 12" and the 14" are great saws. They are made by Palmgren same as the Pro series Lathe that Craftsman sells.