Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular Saw?

Circular Saw?

I'm looking for a circular saw. There are just so many to choose from. The primary purpose will be to cut down sheet goods using a straight edge. I considered the Festool system but it's just too expensive. I already have an 8' and 4' quick clamp. I intend to buy the plate that mounts to the saw and slides on the straight edge (Festool wanna be ). The saw is the problem. I considered the PC 4 1/2" saw but again, the sucker is expensive. I would like it to light and powerful enough to cut though 3/4" stock. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

byron, the skillsaw that i know survives lotsa abuse and keeps ticking is the mag77. i use that and the milwaukee 10 1/4 exclusively, never found the need for any others...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

A circular saw and a good straight edge are all you need. I can't see why anyone would pay for the Festool. But that just my frugal opinion. I don't see the need for anything other than a good straight edge and paying attention to what your doing. I made a simple jig that works perfect and I just just used scraps. No need for high dollar tools to cut a straight edge.

I have a Dewalt that I dearly love. But rather than push brand here is what I looked for when I bought this saw. A way to square the blade to the shoe. I had a cheap B&D that was not square and being so new to woodworking I ruined an interior door with it. I clamped on a straight edge so the cut would be straight only to get the blade in a bind and ruined the door. Thats when I finally discovered it was the saw and not me that was inept!! I could never cut a straight line with that saw! It went in the trash after that and that was the cheap tool I bought.

I would also look for adjustable stops on the angle settings. You want to be able to set it to 0 and 45 degees and it be right. Being able to adjust it if gets off it a big deal (to me anyway).

Consider he weight too. Thats the only thing about my DeWalt I don't like. It's heavy but I can live with that because of all the other good features it has.

I like the Porter Cable Saw Boss circular saw - it is a 6 inch version, and about $140. I used to use it for cutting sheet goods before I converted to Festool. The big advantage of the Festool (or EZ) system is the quality of the cut - straight, accurate and chip-free. I could never get the cuts I wanted using a straight edge and the Saw Boss. I used to cut the sheets to rough size and finish them on the table saw. With the Festool system the cuts are final the first time.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Byron,

I have the Porter Cable 325 mag 7 1/4 and use it in the exact same manner that you speak of. It is a great saw, light weight and good dust control capability. I have really enjoyed mine and recommend it. I think the cost was around $160. For your straight edge, you may want to visit the EZ System section of SMC for some additional ideas.... ask for Dino

Bryon, the framers that built our house used Mikita circular saws Exclusively. They claimed that the Mikitas outlasted any other brand they had tried, including Milwaukee. In particular, the liked the good heavy sole plate. They also used the Marathon blades because they worked well, and were available at any Home Depot.

For a miter saw, they used a DeWalt. I tried to show them the error of their ways, but had no luck.
    Best Regards, Ken

PC 325 Mag

Byron,

I just bought the PC 325 Mag after I burned up a cheap B&D. What a difference! I put a Freud Diablo blade on it and even with a quick clamp straight edge I'm getting superior cuts. I didn't know it was possible to cut sheet goods straight until now.

I might invest in the EZ Smart system down the road and the Mag works very well with that system. Decent dust collection too, hooked to my CT-22, though probably not as good as the Festool saw.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Hi Byron

I’m reluctant to give you any advice because I’m an amateur, but please have a look at this post, maybe it will give you some ideas. Roll down the post, there are more pictures.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36808

With this guide and measuring method I’m achieving very accurate cuts.

Regards
    niki

Byron,
    I have used a PC743 and a Craftsman Circular Saw for ripping down sheet goods as you have mentioned. I also used quick clamps and I also made a guide out of 1/2" MDF for rips and cross cuts. This also works for straighlining rough lumber also.

The saw and guide works OK, but I wanted a better cut quality and a way to 'stretch' my sheet goods by elimiating the waste around my rough rips and minimize how much I handled each panel. I upgraded to the Festool a couple of years ago.

In hindsight, the system price was not that much more than what I had invested in the circular saw, guides, and blades to get a decent cut.

As far as dust collection goes, the PC saw was better than nothing, but the Festool saw is far better.

10. A good saw, like any of the brands mentioned here, and a thin kerf carbide blade will work very well for what you want to do. The edge guide in the link is a bit more complex than I like to work with, but the poster is from eastern Europe, I believe, and his saw is a bit different than ours (no blade guard, so he built one, etc.)

I would check out the Makita, Porter Cable (PC), Milwaukee and DeWalt at your local big box store. Pick them up and see how they feel in your hand. I like the PC saws the best of the ones I've used, and I have a PC that I love. But really any of these brands that feel good in the hand will work for you.

For an edge guide, you can always use a straight edge and run the saw's baseplate along the guide. You have to measure an offset from the place you want to cut, so you're measuring the stock twice ... once to find where you want to cut, and then the offset ... on my PC, its 1 1/2" from the short side of the base to the blade.

You can make a better edge guide that's easier to use. The link above shows one that looks like its made out of flooring. I've used 1/8" MDF and a MDF 1 x 3 ... you rip the 1/8" material about 10" wide, screw and glue the 1 x 3 on the top of it, and use the circular saw to trim the 1/8" material by running the "short" side of the baseplate along the 1x3 on one side and the "wide" side down the other side. Now you have an edge guide that you can place exactly where you want to cut ... lining up the cut 1/8" material portion of it on your cut line and running the shoe of the saw along the 1x3 edge. At first, it will be easier to do it from the wide side, because more of the baseplate is supported, but you quickly get the hang of it.

circular saws

Bryon, I have two circular saws and only use on. The P.C. is a good saw and it cuts good. My main saw is a Milwaukee 7 1/4 worm drive. Big and heavy and built like a battle ship. I have dropped it off my roof and cut concrete and sand stone with ease with a diamond blade. If you can handle the weight, 20 lbs. and like a saw that is very easy to push and control because of the rear handle you will like the worm drive. Only maintaince is changing that stinky gear oil once a year and replacing the cord every so often.

Jeff Singleton

Another vote for the Saw Boss.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I have a PC 424 Mag (left blade, quick blade change). Love it, good dust control, lightweight and easy to handle. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

For simple 1 or 2 cut operations just to get sheet goods to a more manageable size, I use my Ridgid 18V circular saw with a thin kerf plywood blade. Easily done right on the trailer before it comes in the shop.

Use the TS or the PC for finish cuts tho.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I'm using a Sears Sawmill that I borrowed from my Father. He said "keep it", so I have been using it with a straightedge for over a year now. I bought a nice 40 (or was it 50?) tooth blade, and it cuts even the crappy BORG veneer ply without difficulty or significant tear out. It cuts a perfect 1.5" from the straightedge every time. If you're a hobbyist any old CS will work. Just cut a little oversize with the CS and get to final dimension on the TS.

I hope it doesn't die anytime soon... The F stuff isn't in my budget right now.

Michael

Have you considered a Milwaukee or Bosch cordless? the Bosch cordless has a dust port.