Thread: Installing hinges on a box

Installing hinges on a box

I have made my 1st hand cut dovetail box. Got it finished out and waxed. Now I am trying to install the hinges and I can not get the lid to line up right . Box is ~11" by 5". I want to thank Mac for the tip on using super glue to make the dovetails tighter, it really helped. How do you guys & gals line up the hinges?

Thanks
    Floyd

Floyd,

It depends on the type lid you have. I normally clamp the lid in the open position to the box and lay out both sets of lines for the hinges. If its a leaf type hinge I then seperate the lid and lay out each hinge in relation to the barrell.

Floyd,

First I mortice for the hinges before I finish the box and then sand away any mis-allignment. I "open" the box and clamp the two together in the 180 degree open relationship. Make sure the outside edges and the top edges of the box are flush. Layout the outside ends of the mortices with a square and a chisel to incise the line. Then take your hinge and mark the actual length of the hinge mortices again with a chisel or a marking knife. Incise it with the square and chisel. I use a trim router to cut 90% of the mortice cleaning up the ends with a sharp chisel. Check the fit and adjust the depth or length as needed. Un clamp the box halves and install the hinges into the top or bottom. I use a Vix Bit (self centering bit) to get the holes drilled and then install (use a bit of wax especially if they are solid brass). repeat for the other box half. Unless you are good some tweaking will be needed on the depth (you dont want to go too deep). Sand the front back and sides to fix any misallignment.

There you go. Sounds easy but it is a fussy job that takes carefull layout and installation. Why do you think folks really like no-mortice hinges. I think they call them butt hinges cause they can be a pain in the butt!!

Let us know how it goes.

Mac
    Mac

Perhaps this Tip I posted to a WOOD site might assist you in installing your hinges!

http://dgroups.woodmagazine.com/n/pf...tag=topshoptip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Thanks for the tips guys. I think my major problem was the lid did not line up square. I took Mac's advice and sanded the sides & front down to make it fit after I installed the hinges. Also I think I need the self centering bit Mac mentioned. You can see the box on a new post "1st time hand cut dovetails"

Thanks again
    Floyd