Thread: Woodmaster planer

Woodmaster planer

Hello all,

I have read thru the archives on this question, but was hoping for some new responses. Does anyone have a Woodmaster 725 25" planer/molder and can comment on its good and bad qualities as a planer? I usually prefer lots of cast iron, but the 25" capacity with single phase power is a nice attraction. I'm mostly concerned with issues of snipe or feed problems. Thanks for any comments!

Brian

I don't own one but a good friend of mine does and I've used it several times. It works great and I didn't have any snipe or feed problems.

I don't think you would regret it.

Wood Master

I have had Woodmaster planners and sanders operating in Wisconsin, Brazil, Colombia and Peru and unless you have an operation that needs very large volume or are working with the hardest exotics they will serve you fine.

18" woodmaster

I have the 18" woodmaster, considered the 25", but went with the 18", for my purposes, think it is big enough. I like it. Except it has a plastic
    gauge to set the blades with, if you push down, it opens up and gives you
    a false reading. Was considering a Byrd cutterhead, and they say they
    don't have a way of cutting morse tapers. So they want 1700 and some
    change for a cutterhead. It works like a heavier machine than it is, kind
    of surprising for no more metal than is in it. Jim

Hi Brian, I have the Woodmaster 25", I use it all the time It does a great job (mostly) on the wider lumber. As far as snipe, I do get some, sometimes double as the wood contacts the first and then the second outfeed roller. It is not consistent though. I have added a 1 1/2" MDF bed with PLAM top to help compensate. That helped a lot. THe infeed and outfeed tables could be a little stouter. I have tried all the different feed techniques that I know to reduce snipe but It still happens. I have gone through the manual and adjusted the feed rollers per the instructions and that did not change the snipe. It is now just something I plan for and use a wide surface sander to "fiinish" the thickness planing. I also have some diffuculty with knife setting. the gauge they send you is frustrating. I purchased a magnetic knife setting jig to compensate for theirs. BUT, even when using those, or bottoming the knives out when setting I still see a variation of about 1/32" thickness from left to right. My next project on this planer is to check the chain for height adjusment and maybe I can get the thickness even. I do believe this planer is a workhorse and maybe all of this is operator error. The infinetely adjustable speed is awesome to deal with figured woods and tearout. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions and I am way open to suggestions on adjustments. Have a great day!
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus