Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dream Trip - Boston

My Dream Trip - Boston

I've always wanted to take a trip to Boston...but the stars never lined up for some reason. In fact, I was starting to think that I would never make it there. But lo and behold, my company has a need to send me there for some training next month!...and by golly, I want to make the most of it. So...I've decided to extend my stay by a couple of days and take the family along. I want my girls to get a chance to take in the history and beauty and gain something that I've always wanted, but never experienced.

So the question is...Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do that will be fullfilling, useful, educational, and fun while we're there?

Thanks!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Old Ironsides and it's maintenance shop
    The Concord Bridge
    NYW
    Fanueil Hall
    The Green Monster
    Boston Aquarium
    Big Dig Tour
    Old Sturbridge Village (a bit of a drive but worth it)

Thsse should chew up a morning. Then head downeast.
    Only the Blue Roads

John, I spent 4 yrs there back in the 60's when in the USAF. There are a lot of things to see. Some places to visit are : Downtown Boston, Lexington, Concord, and up the road is Salem. Do a google search on Boston and the Freedom Trail.

While in downtown Boston, drive across the Charles river and take a look at MIT and Harvard. on the other side of downtown, in Brookline, is Boston College.

Check out the wharf area, there used to be two excellent restaurants there, Anthony's Pier 1, and Jimmy's Harbor Side. A little on the pricey side, but outstanding.

Have Fun, I know you will enjoy the trip.
    Best Regards, Ken

The Boston Walk through the historic parts of Boston is incredible.

Eat at Durgin Park, long known for their surly waitresses and good food.

Sturbridge Village is a good an hour - hour and a half out the Mass Turnpike from Boston. Check it out on the web - more than a day's activity, so a day isn't wasted going out there.

What an opportunity!

The Freedom Trail, as others have said. Old Ironsides, too. Most importantly make sure they have read some history before seeing these sights. Why? Because all of us - most importantly our youngsters - are losing sight of huge odds our revolutionary soldiers faced AND OVERCAME. How did they overcome them? GUTS.

Ok enjoy your trip but have lunch or dinner at Durgin Park. That's an order!
    18th century nut --- Carl

You might also check out the John Adams and John Quincy Adams homes down in Quincy. My wife took me recently and it was impressive to see the old homes that had been maintained so well. Some of the floor boards about 30" wide and clear. You don't see that in the local box stores.

Depending on the age... The Boston Science Museum if it's raining, has a new "Starwars" exibit opening the end of Oct. but check the hours and get tickets ahead of time. A very kid oriented hands on kind of place. Has one of the IMAX theaters. The Boston Aquarium is very nice too if it rains.

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market is something most folks hit. A historic shopping mall of sorts. Everyone likes it.

Cheers, if their older. From the TV Series.

Plymouth is a bit south but may be worth the trip to see the Mayflower and the rock. About 45 minutes.

Ditto on walking the Freedom trail in downtown.

The USS Constitution

Wonder around Cambridge/Harvard, walk the Charles river past MIT.

Don't bother with Salem.

If your into sports there's Fenway and the Boston Garden.

If you like Seafood... Legal Sea Food, there's a few downtown but the one at the Park Plaza is the original or hit the one at the Prudential Center and you can go to the top of the building for a good view of the city (check the hours). SkipJacks is good too.

The Capital Grill has great steaks (if your on expenses). You need a suit jacket and it isn't for kids so it'd depend on their ages.

Let me know if you need more or more age specific.

The Museum of Fine Arts has a very good collection of American furniture.

Stay In Back Bay / Copley Square. There is so much to see and do as everyone has indicated. The New England Aquarium is real nice and you can take a water taxi over to the Old Navy Yard from there and see the USS Constitution. Visit Bunker Hill and then walk the Freedom Trail back.

SkipJacks (On Clarendon behind Copley Square) is wayyyyyyy better than Legal Seafood IMHO. Turner Fisheries at Westin Copley Square has the best Chowda... But who doesn't in Boston.

Newberry Street wil appeal to the Mrs. with all the shops. Also, be sure to take a quick ride across the Charles River to Harvard Square.

The Science Museum is real cool for kids as well as the childrens Museum. The Boston Tea Party was right next to where the Childrens museum is.

Also, The Christian Science Park has a real cool Glass globe really cool.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

the two f's..Faneull Hall..and Fenway Park

Don' forget to have a pint a Guiness for me! Ahh mother's milk.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Geez...thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!! I thought maybe I'd get a couple but nothing like this! Now, I'm going to have to list everything out and figure out an itinerary....then take out a loan!

This is going to be great. I'm real big into history so we're going to take as much in as possible. The girls (10 and 11) are going to absolutely love the Stars Wars museum and the IMAX theater. (I just told them an hour ago and they're giddy about it). The food sounds great too. Looks like we're going to hit Plymouth as well. The kids are being homeschooled so we have the perfect opportunity to educate them ahead of time as Carl suggests. They don't care about Fenway, but since I'm a baseball nut and the Red Sox are my 2nd favorite team...we just gotta get in there!

Dream come true. Lots of Pics to take!

Thanks again!
    ~john

[QUOTE=Bob Johnson2]Don't bother with Salem.

QUOTE]

Well...I agree about Salem with respect to the witches, etc... BUT, if you enjoy musuems, the Peabody Essex is a real gem... also has considerable exhibit of some nice period furniture.

Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth NH (1 hour north) is very interesting and Portsmouth is also a nice (and smaller) city to visit and enjoy walking around...

For a nice visit on the coast, go to Cape May (Rockport & Gloucester) although season is "over" there are still many nice things to see...

Depending on your interests, and if you want some woodworking points of interests, there are many other choices...let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers
    .....Depending on your interests, and if you want some woodworking points of interests, there are many other choices...let me know
    Thanks Roger...yes please...Do tell!! The whole family likes good wood!
    ~john

Here is a link to lots of properties that have great furniture in them...and some amazing history

http://www.historicnewengland.org/index.htm

Also for Shaker, there is Canterbury Shaker Village in Canterbury NH (near Concord... about 2 hours from Boston)

Boston's Musuem of Fine Arts is a great place to go
    http://www.mfa.org/collections/index.asp?key=17

More to come as I have time
    Last edited by Roger Myers; 10-19-2005 at 11:20 PM.