Greetings all,

I've been lurking here for awhile. I decided it is time to join the community. I must say there is a wealth of knowledge being shared. My thanks to all that contribute to this site.

I'm in the process of moving to a new home and a bigger shop area. I'm looking at replacing my current 12" portable planer with a stationary machine. I have access to a lot of rough sawn wood. I find the portable planers have a tough time with rough boards, especially long or wide boards. I've looked at the 15" planers from Delta, Jet, Powermatic, and a few generic imports. Any other suggestions of other planers I should be looking at (or avoiding)?

At some point, I'll be looking to upgrade from my current 6" jointer as well. Any thoughts on combination jointer/planers? Something like the 12" Laguna XSD 310 would be stretching the budget, but is not out of the question. My biggest concern is the time to switch between jointer and planer modes.

I can't say that money is not an issue, but I'd rather get the right machine and only have to buy it once.