Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving just one piece of advice, what would it be...

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto

Giving just one piece of advice, what would it be...

Hi All,

A rookie woodworker asked me today " If you could give me just one piece of advice about woodworking, what would it be". I still haven't given him an answer yet, I can't think of a single piece of advice that stands head and shoulders above everything else...................what about you guys, what "one piece of advice" would you give this young fellow??

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Graff

" If you could give me just one piece of advice about woodworking, what would it be".
    Of course for me it would be "Measure Twice - Cut Once"

And by the way this phrase was not coined by Norm - I heard it from my Grandfather when I was about 10 yrs old.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Graff
    Hi All,

A rookie woodworker asked me today " If you could give me just one piece of advice about woodworking, what would it be". I still haven't given him an answer yet, I can't think of a single piece of advice that stands head and shoulders above everything else...................what about you guys, what "one piece of advice" would you give this young fellow??

All the best
    Gord
    Easy Gord...

Lighten up!
    It's just a hobby for most of us!
    You are entitled to make mistakes and create less than archival furniture.

Heck, even the pros have off days!
    However, you are mandated to help your fellow woodworkers for the rest of your life!

regards
    Bob

I have a couple

1. Don't be too critical of your results/projects. Your family will love them. You'll get better with time. Woodworkers tend to to be there own worst critics.

2. Buy the best tools you can afford. Don't buy junk, it will continue to frustrate you.

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Hi Bob,

In 1996 I placed a plaque in my shop (picture below) and I still live by it today. I've learned not to take myself to seriously, most people have the same opinion of me and that's okay by me.

Your post is very timely and well said, thanks Bob.

All the best
    Gord
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

Gord,
    Being a new woodworker myself, one of the biggest bits of advise someone could of givin me is;

"you get what you pay for, you don't have to go big but go big enough" more so on the majorly low cost type tools. I'm not talking Craftsman or Ryobi, Skil, Black and Decker or the likes. I am refering to the even lesser costing brands. $29 for a plunge router is NOT a bargin. $150 table saw is NOT worth it. A $9 ros is NOT worth it.

I would say that if you think that what you are about to do seems like it may not be safe it probably isn't.

Old proverb....

..Haste makes waste.

Course I always follow my advise. That 's why I have no feelin in my index finger
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Hello Gord,

I like your sign, it says it all. One rule that I have always lived by as far as woodworking.....

I always listen to that little voice in my head. It will tell me without fail if I am about to do something stupid or dangerous. I listen to it 100% of the time. I'm sure that it has saved me many many times. There is usually another way to do something if we just don't get in a hurry and think things through. It may take a little longer, but I still have all ten.

Best wishes,
    Dave

One thing I would tell him is actually 3 fold, but it IS one sentence, so I count it as one............and all 3 tie together nicely.
    "Work safely, be patient, and build what YOU like."
    The rest will pretty much take care of itself with experience.

Never take your eye off the blade. Everything else is secondary.
    Jim

Smile

Relax, take your time, and enjoy!!!!

In addition to the other suggestions that have already appeard, my advise to any woodworker, regardless of experience or skill, is to make sure that every project has something to challenge you; a new technique, a new material, a new design, etc. It's the only way to grow your skills.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

That's advice I always try to follow - it's what keeps it alive.

Thanks,

- Ed

Use the best tool you have, you're brain.

Dave