Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turner Interview: Corey Hallagan

1. Turner Interview: Corey Hallagan

Name: Corey Hallagan

DOB: July 23rd, 1958

Physical description
    6ft 1, 250 lbs. Brown and grey hair, grey beard.

Location (for how long, previous locations, etc)
    Council Bluffs, Iowa (A Place To Grow) Born and raised in good old CB. Or Counciltuckey as the folks from across the river in Omaha call it! Lot's of history. Originally was named Kainesville and was a wild town. Home of General Grenville Dodge of civil war fame and was responsible for the eastern part of the transcontinental railroad. Lots of Native American history here. The name comes from the bluffs that surround the town and were used as a meeting place for the chiefs of many surrounding Indian tribes.

Family information (brag on your spouse, kids, grandkids, dog, etc)
    Been married to my wife for 25 years this coming August 29th. We have one son (Eric) who is 20 years old and my daughter Hailey who is 8 years old (whoops :-) )

My son played football, wrestled and soccer. Played some college soccer and now is a high school soccer and wrestling coach along with working in a beer distributorship. He is also a huge fisherman and hunter. He got is first turkey this past April and it will be featured in the Bass Pro Shops catalog.

Daughter Hailey is a soccer player and dancer and loves her dolls and the doll furniture dad has made. She will be the recipient of many a jewelry box etc. I am sure. She received my first jewelry box for Christmas. No photos of the family. Used to have tons of photos on the old computer. The new one is pretty bare.

Vocation
    I have been in the insurance industry for 30 years. Currently work with one of the largest specialty insurers and growing. I have been underwriting for about 25years. Mostly commercial casualty exposures such as trucking companies and currently I am a program manager responsible for a contractors program in California and specializes in high end pool builders.

Website?
    http://woodshop51503.tripod.com/index.html and a photo alblum
    http://woodenstuff.photosite.com

Equipment Overview (lathe, tools, etc)
    Delta Contractors Table Saw, Craftsman Drill Press, Delta 16inch Scroll Saw, Bench Dog Router Table with Dewalt 625 under the hood, PSI Turncrafter Midi Lathe, Dewalt DW 618 PK, Bosche 1591 Jig Saw, Numerous powered drills and cordless tools etc.

How many lathes have (or do) you own? Tell us about 'em.
    Just One: PSI Turncrafter Midi lathe. A great lathe for those wanting to do small stuff like pen turning and other weed pots etc.

How many turning tools do you have?
    He he. I have become kind of a turning tool nut. I have about a dozen lathe tools at this time. Mostly PSI and Harbor Freight tools. Learned to sharpen on these and still learning but I am no longer ruining and throwing away tools :-)

Tell us about your shop
    My shop is a small one. It is the front portion of a one car garage. Utilizes the sides of the garage as well. Shares space with a mini van. A year ago I rehabbed my shop and replaced most of the tools in it from the beginners equipment and cheapo items that I started with 20 years ago. Not top of the line but good enough for me. I built new cabinets and the space is small but it is mine and I love being there. That is where I am most Saturday mornings and many evenings.

How long turning?
    Newbie. since January 2006!

What got you into turning?
    I had dipped in and out of the Turning forum here on SMC several times. Mostly due to Big Mike who I was a fan of his flatwork boxes. Checked out some of the round stuff he was doing and thought that was cool too. But the pen sites I visited really got me thinking what if... That and my buddies Bernie Weishapl who happened to have taken possession of a Delta Midi lathe and Bob Noles who talked me into Little Red.

What do you enjoy most about turning?
    I am fascinated in the all the great domestic and exotic woods that I am able to use which I would not be able to use otherwise on traditional woodworking projects. Pen's. I am fascinated by turning pens. All the different kinds of pens, wood etc. that can be used to create a pen.

What was your first completed turned project?
    A rosewood slimline that my wife stole from me and proudly carries it with her ( see photo) regardless if I missed the bushings etc. It totally stinks but I was proud of it that day!

What is your favorite form that you turn?
    To early to tell, besides pens I am dabbling in weed pots and vases. I would eventually like to turn some mini hollow forms like those of SMC member Carole Valentine.

What is your favorite form someone else turns/has turned?
    I don't turn bowls myself... That said, I enjoy the beauty that SMC members are able to put into there bowls, platters and hollow forms, natural edge's etc. Probably more than anything else. Mike Stafford's box work. I don't know if I will ever be a box turner but I never tire of seeing these.

What is your favorite wood to work with and why?
    I have 2 .. I love walnut! With regards to exotic's .. To date my favorite is Kingwood. It's a beautiful wood and it turns nicely.

Have you met or hung out with any turnin' Creekers? Tell us about it.
    No not yet.

What is your favorite individual piece that you have turned, and why?
    Hard to say... probably the spalted beech and purple heart weedpot/vase. Why... my wife loved it and displays it proudly and warns the kids... don't mess with it!!

What is your favorite piece someone else has turned, and why?
    Mike Stafford's Masur Birch Box with Russian inspired domed lid. The shape was really cool and it was some of the most beautiful wood I have ever seen. Stunning piece in my opinion.

What do you not turn now that you want to - or plan to - in the future?
    Most likely small hollow forms and boxes. I will get around to it sooner or later.

What brought you to SMC?
    Used to hang out at another internet site that was poorly moderated and was referred by another member.

Got any nicknames? How'd you get it?
    Not really, will answer to most anything.

Now let's get a little deep... If you were a tree, what tree would you be and why?
    Walnut Tree . never met a piece of walnut I didn't like :-)

---------------------------

I have attached a photo of my first miserable pen, one of my favorite pens (rollerball) and my favorite piece turned to date.. the vase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Corey;
    Good to get to know you a little better.

Nice to learn more about you Corey. I felt like I knew you pretty well before. It has been fun buddy learning together. Glad to get to know you better.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

4. Hey Corey, nice to get to know you more, great interview, thanks for taking the time!

Cheers!

Nice to know more about you Corey! Keep working on those vases......I see a lot of potential!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Corey,

Even though I feel like I already knew you from our PM's, it is good to know you even better now. You are a kind and talented individual and I enjoy paling around with you at SMC.

Great interview and thanks for sharing a piece of yourself with us.

Hi Corey...

Very nice to get to know you better.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Corey, it's nice to know more about you. I've always thought of you as a "top notch" kinda guy and your interview confirms it. Thanks
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Blog Entries
    Good to know you Corey,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

10. Corey, you flatter me with your praise. Thank you very much. You are becoming a very good turner at a rapid pace. I hope you are enjoying turning as much as I enjoyed your interview and seeing your progress as a turner.

Sounds like a wonderful family. You are one of the good guys.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Corey, nice to know a little more behind the name and avitar.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Great interview, Corey. I'm happy to know more about you!
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Nice interview, Corey. Although I already felt I knew you somewhat, the extra background info is always interesting. As Big Mike said, you're one of the good guys.

- Vaughn

Great interview Cory. Sounds like you have a wonderful family. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Good to know more about you Corey.