Thread: Need design software recommendations

Need design software recommendations

Hi I'm new to forum.

I am looking for a good design software package to use. I have started my own business and need something for decks, sheds, closet design, book shelves etc.

Should I be looking into a cad program? I have used home design but not happy with that. Looking for product where I can draw up plans for building inspector as well.

Is there a good one out there that not to pricy?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

Tom,

First off, welcome to the Creek and congradulations on starting your own business. I wish you the best of luck in this adventure.

As to your question, I'd say SketchUp is a craze that is growing throughout the woodworking community (hobbiest and professional alike). Google offers a free version (that should fit your "not too pricy" request) or a professional version ($500.00 last I looked). www.sketchup.com

I can admit that I am far from a pofessional, but I have started using SketchUp for the ideas in my head and more recently, a builtin that I was comissioned to build. I have the free version of SketchUp and love its capabilities. It is VERY user friendly and if you cannot figure something out, there are more than a few guru's here that can help you out. Not to mention running the search function here at SMC for SketchUp and you'll get more than a days reading on it's uses, abilities, functions, and answers.

Best of luck and hope this helps. I'm sure others will post recomendations and/or alternatives. But from what I've seen here and the ease in which I learned the program, SketchUp may be what you are looking for (for both the learning curve and pocketbook).

Again Welcome,

Eric
    The only way to make dreams come true is to wake up.