Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 36-680 or Jet 708304K ?????

Delta 36-680 or Jet 708304K ?????

Hello Everybody,

I've spent the past week or so looking around this forum and admiring many of you fine projects. This has only confirmed for me that I would like to get started in woodworking. I've been researching table saws and have narrowed my list to the Delta 36-680 or the Jet 708304K. This weekend I was able to run around town looking at different saws and in one store I was able to see these two saws side by side. I went in looking for the Delta, however the salesman seemed less than thrilled with the Delta and commented that the jet was a better quality product. Other than telling me that the Jet cost about $230 more than the Delta he didn't explain why the jet was worth the extra money. Could some of you please shed some light on this issue? Is the Jet worth an extra $230? Also, would either of these saws be a good starting point for a beginner that would serve them well for several years?

Thanks,

Keith

Welcome Keith!

I have a Delta 10" contractor's saw with Biesemeyer 30" fence which I purchased 4 years ago when I got started in woodworking. It's been a good saw, but if I had to do it again, I'd seriously consider starting out with a cabinet saw. The Grizzly G023 is probably not too much more than the Delta or Jet you're looking at.

A few cabinet saw advantages:

1. More power (might need a new 220V circuit though?)
    2. Better dust collection
    3. More precision and easier blade alignment
    4. More compact--no annoying motor sticking out the back
    5. Threaded arbor shaft is often longer allowing wider dado blade

Both should perform comparably. AFAIK, the Jet has an Exacta fence and is more the equivalent of the Delta 36-682 with the Biesemeyer fence. The 680 has the T2. IMO the T2 is a good fence, but not quite at the level of the Biese or Exacta...that said, the T2 is more than adequate. The Jet also has a laminate extension table that the 680 does not have...easy enough to build though. Only you can decide if the fence and extension upgrade are worth the premium...seems a tad high to me.

Also, Delta is in the process of rolling out their updated models that are left tilt and have built in mobile bases....the 36-980 has the cast wings and T2 fence like the 680. The last I knew Lowe's was offering these saws with any of the 3 Delta fence options, plus $50 off. Find 10% somewhere and there may be a deal there.

The $230 premium for the Jet is likely to put you into the range of a hybrid, which has several design advantages over the contractor saw design. Delta has 3 models - 36-715, 716, 717. Jet , Grizzly, Craftsman, DW, and GI have models too. You may also find it puts you close to a full 3hp Griz 1023 if you have 220v.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

keith, welcome to smc! i had no idea which saws you where speaking of when i read your post.....andy cleared it up somewhat, they`re contractors saws. if you need to transport the saw from one location to another these saws are wonderfull. if you`re looking to start up a shop in one place a cabinet saw either new or used is a much better idea. granted a fellow can perform most opperations on a contractors saw but by and large they`re underpowered and not nearly as sturdy as a cabinet saw. if money is a major concern look to the used market and consider investing a little sweat equity. whether you buy new or used you`ll need to know the hows-n-whys of your equipment so tuning a used saw is also a great learning experience.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Thanks for the info so far. Based on your input I have several more questions.

1. What are the advantages / disadvantages of a hybrid saw?
    2. What are the advantages / disadvantages of a left tilt saw?

Thanks,

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Benningfield

a hybrid saw is pretty much a contractors saw with dust collection, most use a motor making less than 3hp.

a left tilt saw is better at ripping miters, a right tilt is better at crosscutting miters(for most folk who use the miter gauge in the left slot)

Thanks,

Keith
    judging from your questions i presume you`d rather not purchase a used saw? if not do you have a price bracket? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I'm not opposed to a used saw, I'm just not sure were to look. My price range is $600-$800.

keith, used equipment is like a bad rash, it pops up at the most inopportune times... the only way i see being able to obtain a true cabinet saw given your budgit is finding one used. every once in a while you`ll find one on this forum, sometimes on woodweb, but the best bet is to watch the local papers and auction listings, let local supply houses know you`re in the market as well as local woodworking clubs. ebay seldom has good deals on cabinet saws, most go for way more than i`d pay. a member of this forum listed an older oliver a couple weeks ago in your price range, i believe he`s in california? if that`s close. good luck in your search! .02 tod

I'm not necessarily looking for cabinet saw. I'm just looking for a good quality saw to get me started that I won't grow out of real quick.

Todd - I checked out your website....nice work!

keith, thanks! it`s the "won`t grow out of" thing that keeps me pointing you toward a cabinet saw. contractor saws have a place and will cut a board every bit as accurately as a cabinet saw, it`s when you cut thick lumber or are trying to get through that stack of wood before lunch that they show their shortcommings. if you`re a patient man and don`t mind working within a saws abilities then a contractors saw may fit the bill? if you have the time and inclination wait and look for a used cabinet saw that`ll outlive you and i.....02 tod

Keith,

Welcome... I was in your same situation about 4 months ago, and I decided to get the Dela 36-680 saw. I think it's a great saw for someone who wants a quality piece of equipment, that will perform well, and be usable for many years. The T2, while not a Biese, is a very good fence, and allows cuts of 30" to the right of the blade. I found it to be smooth, accurate and reliable. I got the saw on sale at Amazon, free delivery, for $429.

I upraded to the Incra 100SE miter gauge, which is very accruate and a great addition to your "cutting system". $160 (I also have the Incra Miter Express).

I replaced the standard pulleys with machined ones and installed a Link-Belt, and the saw is very smooth with little vibration. $26 I also made my own extension table...melamine board, screws, about $15.

As far as the dust control situation, the contractor saw can be easily adapted to very good control..:http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/sawdust.html (I have a bottom plate coming from Amazon...$7.93 and a sheet of MDF board.)

Most all woodworkers have some kind of "outfeed" table behind their saw anyway, so the "motor hanging off the back" is not that big of a problem, IMO. My table is from Sears, $39 and a sheet of melamine from HD $11 (I believe).

The blade in you saw is one of the most important, and I have the Tenryu 40T combo blade, and a Forrest WWII thin kerf waiting to pick up. The Forrest WWII, with the dampener, on a recent sale at Amazon was $88.

I have a Rigid Hurcu-Lift Plus mobile stand I'm assembling for the table saw, and one for the outfeed table, from HD on sale $29.

By the time you add it all up, you are still within your budget, but with an upgraded, expanded "cutting station", with componants you can use later with a different saw, and all are brand new with warranty!

Whichever route you chose to go, good luck and enjoy!

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 06-19-2006 at 1:37 PM.

Keith, you said the ceiling of your price range is $800? That being the case, I'd scrounge around and see if I could come up with a bit more and go with this:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023S

I'll ditto what Tod is saying; a cabinet saw will keep you happy for a long, long time.
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 06-19-2006 at 1:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Benningfield

Thanks,

Keith
    The hybrids mount the motor internally which takes up less space and eliminates the DC complications posed by the external motor on a contractor saw...there's really no longer a need for the external motor, and is likely to become an obsolete design. Hybrids will likely become the next generation for the weekend hobbyist home shop for people who typically bought a contractor saw. They offer the advantages of a contractor saw (price/power/electrical requirements), and several of the advantages of a cabinet saw (space/DC/stability/short belts). I know of no advantages of the contractor saw design over most hybrids. Hybrids also have shorter drive belts which equates to better power transfer and somewhat less vibration. Many have a full cabinet and offer more mass. The 3 Craftman models have cabinet mounted trunnions that make alignment easier. There should be several models in your price range...the 36-715 was on sale for $~550 just a few weeks ago. There usually a deal one one of them.

Left tilt/right tilt boils down to preference. There are pros and cons to each.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 07-07-2006 at 7:01 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    ... they`re contractors saws. if you need to transport the saw from one location to another these saws are wonderfull. ..
    Hi Tod - When you say "transport the saw from one location to another", did you mean rolling it across the shop or actually relocating to a different site? Contractor saws will roll well on a mobile base, but @ 300# are still a handful to move from site to site like a jobsite saw.

Yup!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    Keith, you said the ceiling of your price range is $800? That being the case, I'd scrounge around and see if I could come up with a bit more and go with this:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023S

I'll ditto what Tod is saying; a cabinet saw will keep you happy for a long, long time.
    Depending on how serious You become about the hobby, $600 now plus $900-1200 for the saw You should have bought in the first place=$1500 or more. If You could find a good used cabinet saw and decide You don't like woodworking after all, You're more likely to get a good percentage of your inital investment back if You decide to sell. Certain brands of contractor saws don't have a great resale values. OTOH, you might be able to find a functional contractor saw for $200 or less, if you are mechanically adept and able to tune a contractor saw.

I started out with a Craftsman "3 h.p." contractor saw, had it a couple years, sold it and got a Grizzly 1023. I have no plan to trade the G1023.

HTH

Curt