Thread: Full inset hinges

Full inset hinges

I just got an emergency rush job of adding some cabinets to a kitchen and replacing all the old hardware on the existing ones in a house that just went up for sale.

On my last set of cabinets, I used Blum 38N, 3/4" overlay, face frame hinges and was very, very satisfied with the results (thanks to all your help there as well). However, when I looked for full inset hinges, there was a confusing amount of information and specs that I was not able to figure out. I would like to stay with Blum hinges if at all possible.

Does anyone have any advice and recommendations on full inset hinges? I'm looking for Blum model numbers for hinges for a frame-less application in one cabinet and for a face frame application for the rest of the kitchen.

Your advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark, check with Rockler or Lee Valley(web site). One or both have the installation guides in PDF on their sites and you can usually figure out which hinge you need from that. The last Euro inset hinges I used were the cheap ones from HD and did not adjust as well as the Blum.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Mark,
    The two pieces of info you left out are the degrees of opening you need (i.e. 100, 107, 120, 170) and which series of Blum you want (i.e. clip top, clip, modul, or compact). From there, picking the hinges will be easy.

Thanks James.

Angle isn't critical; 107 or 120 will work.

AND

Whichever series is easiest to install. Cabinets are in place and some of the cabs are hard to reach into to get to the back side of the faceframes. My dogs don't have opposable thumbs (yet) so I have to squeeze into the cabs to scrrew in the hinges.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark --

Yes, Blum does inset hinges. wwhardware.com is another source. They have all Blum's tables and installation guidelines on their site.

I'm not sure what you're asking about Euro-style and face-frame hinges. You can use separate part numbers for the face-frame stuff, or you can use the euro-style parts. To use the euro-style parts on a face frame cabinet, add a block behind the face frame at each hinge. That provides the meat for the hinge to screw to. If you're building the cabinets, it is a trivial thing to add, and it keeps you from having to fuss with separate part numbers.

For a screwed-on 120 degree inset hinge in a euro-style cabinet, use hinge B071T5650 and any 9 mm mounting plate -- for instance B175H719. These are part numbers from wwhardware.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    For a screwed-on 120 degree inset hinge in a euro-style cabinet, use hinge B071T5650 and any 9 mm mounting plate -- for instance B175H719. These are part numbers from wwhardware.com.
    I agree that the #71T5650 and #175H7190 would be the best hinge/plate combo for the frameless cabs.

For your frame cabs, do you have at least 14mm of lip inside the cab? If so, I would substitute plate #175H5030.21 and mount them to the back of the frame instead of fussing with building out the side of the cab. The same hinge will work for both frame and frameless, just a different plate.

If you have a lot of these to do, you may want to look at the PlateMate template for drilling the plate holes.