Thread: What project next??

What project next??

You guys know I finished that night stand a few days ago (see earlier post). I find myself going through "withdrawal", wandering around saying to myself "why aren't you in the shop?". I've already cleaned up (a little ) and put back most of the tools, jigs, etc. But I'm still missing doing a project even here in middle of summer.
    What do you guys suggest I do next? I love working with Cherry and with each project I try to learn new skills.(I have lots to learn ) On this one I built for first time: bracket feet, , wood drawer runners, dovetails. made all my own mouldings, etc Probably a dumb question (from a dumb person) but it hurts to not have a project in at least a planning stage. Of course, with price of cherry here (about $7/bf) maybe its good to take a break. Any ideas for this deprived WWer??
    Of course if LOML sees this, she'll have plenty of ideas
    Jerry

Jerry, how about a nice sofa or hallway table? They are both usually a pretty "open" design, so you shouldn't be eating up as much BF. As for looking to try something new, how about some mixed media in the project? I did that sofa table with SS legs and now, I couldn't even envision it with anything else!!! Projects like a hall or sofa table really lend themselves nicely to mixing up the media; Glass, steel, maybe granite or marble.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jerry,
    I have one word that is an instn't cure..

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Jerry,
    I have one word that is an instn't cure..

Don: maybe you're right!! There was a time when a router table was foreign to me. Now I have 3 routers with 5 bases and 2 router tables. Most important, I've learned the infinite capacity of a router.
    John M has also been after me to do some spinning. Maybe you guys are right...Hmmm Thanks good thought..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Jerry, how about a nice sofa or hallway table? They are both usually a pretty "open" design, so you shouldn't be eating up as much BF. As for looking to try something new, how about some mixed media in the project? I did that sofa table with SS legs and now, I couldn't even envision it with anything else!!! Projects like a hall or sofa table really lend themselves nicely to mixing up the media; Glass, steel, maybe granite or marble.
    Good idea John...I'd love to build a hall table but my partially spoiled LOML has 2 already. Like your idea of mm but must admit I love working w wood.(BTW I remember the beautiful job you did on yours) The plastic lam on last project was OK for tray but I liked getting back to the cherry edging. Good thoughts. Maybe, spinning will enter the picture..... After this weekend, I'll go on web and see some ideas, or poss watch NYW and see Norm's latest. Surprisingly, my wife said I should take a month's break before starting the next one
    Jerry

Hey Jerry we're only a couple thousand miles apart and I have a project that is giving me fits. Slip on over to Carmichael, Ca. and you can give me a few ideas. LOL

DK

Jerry,
    One of the many things about turning that apeals to me is that you can do an entire project in a very short time. Another is that you can start out with a piece of wood and create something on the fly. It is a means of short term gratification. I created my last turning a Natural edge weed pot in less then an hour. I still like my flat work but turning offers me a quick release and a chance for a quick fix...

Jerry, I have a great idea now that you're looking for something to do. After the big surprise this weekend [Happy B-Day, 39 again] pack your bag and head up this way for a vacation from Illinois.

I have a stock of cherry, maple, hickory and oak and several projects waiting for me to get at them. I'll check you out on the X-31 and you can help with my projects.

Sound like a good idea?

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

how about a small project like rob millard's tea caddy

lou

Talking

Jerry,

I think your next project should be finding a cheaper supply of cherry!

My local hardwood dealer in the burbs of Columbus, Ohio sells FAS KD cherry for like $6-$7 a bf, but I go just 20 min out of town to a sawmill with select grade KD cherry for $4.50 a bf. It's a nice drive through the country too.

Got any relatives that need a kid's bed? That's the project I'm going to tackle next--a captain's style bed with drawers underneath to store clothes and blankets instead of the typical dust bunnies.

You've probably already shopped around, but I googled this sawmill directory up for you:

http://dnr.state.il.us/conservation/...wmills2005.pdf

Yes, do look around for a "kinder" supplier for cherry, price wise, at least for non-figured stock. I pay about $3-3.50 bd ft for very nice AD cherry locally and only buy from the "big guys" when I need something special.

Consider a Shaker style candle stand for a next project. It combines very basic turning with flat work and is a good exercise in proportion, precision (sliding dovetails for the legs), grain matching (top and legs), etc. It's also something that "everyone" can use...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Jerry, I have a great idea now that you're looking for something to do. After the big surprise this weekend [Happy B-Day, 39 again] pack your bag and head up this way for a vacation from Illinois.

I have a stock of cherry, maple, hickory and oak and several projects waiting for me to get at them. I'll check you out on the X-31 and you can help with my projects.

Sound like a good idea?

Karl
    That is a good idea... If OK with you and Spring, I would like to come up once things quiet down here. Would love to see your new home, see your WWshops and maybe get some cherry...We'll PM as it gets closer..Thanks, Karl
    PS how far is Spring Green from you?
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox
    Jerry,

I think your next project should be finding a cheaper supply of cherry!

My local hardwood dealer in the burbs of Columbus, Ohio sells FAS KD cherry for like $6-$7 a bf, but I go just 20 min out of town to a sawmill with select grade KD cherry for $4.50 a bf. It's a nice drive through the country too.

Got any relatives that need a kid's bed? That's the project I'm going to tackle next--a captain's style bed with drawers underneath to store clothes and blankets instead of the typical dust bunnies.
    Andy, you are Soooo right...And to think I used to live in Columbus (Westerville) but 6 years ago we moved here to be nearer our kids and family. Funny, a good friend of mine in W ville emailed me yesyerday and he also is paying $4.50 which is GREAT!! Enviously,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Yes, do look around for a "kinder" supplier for cherry, price wise, at least for non-figured stock. I pay about $3-3.50 bd ft for very nice AD cherry locally and only buy from the "big guys" when I need something special.

Consider a Shaker style candle stand for a next project. It combines very basic turning with flat work and is a good exercise in proportion, precision (sliding dovetails for the legs), grain matching (top and legs), etc. It's also something that "everyone" can use...
    Wow, Jim...that is exceptional price!! But of course you're in heart of true cherry country. Another reason, I never should have left Pa. Like your idea. Never done sliding dovetails and LOML is even half encouraging me to get a "small" lathe. (I'm proud of this last project because I bought no new tools. Usually, each project is an excuse for me to buy more tools)I love the precision joinery also.
    Thanks
    Jerry