Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White oak furniture examples?

Andy,
    The QS oak will look better to you if you do not like the strong grain patterns. My experience (with red oak) is that QS tends to have more of the ray-fleck pattern than flat sawn. If you want to stain it, Walnut Danish Oil will darken it, but will not look like cherry. Sounds like you want a cherry color, but not necessaily look like cherry based on your original post. I used a medium brown dye stain, then followed with a black cherry WB stain from GF on some cabinets that I am doing. My coloring is on hard maple and is probably quite a bit darker than what you are looking for, but I used two coats of dye and did very little wiping. I think if you do some type of brown as a base, then a redish stain on top you start getting a dark cherry look. However, if you want aged cherry, it is very difficult to replicate the real thing. Just my limited experience.

Mike

If you want to see lots of examples of QS WO furniture, just do a Google image search on "Mission oak" and "Stickley" and "arts and crafts" furniture.

I too, have grown bored with red oak. I love QSWO and have used it now for many of my personal and professionally made projects. I really love the flakes that pop when the wood is finished. I have fumed it, stained it, and left it natural. Here is the latest project that I did in the QSWO.sideboard front view.jpg