Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Blank Page Issue Is Intolerable - Let's Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Frank, I think the six dollar suggestion is a good one--the equivalent of one venti latte and donut at StarBucks. There are many folks who give a lot more and some who would contribute if they could. I don't think the "suggested donation" should be more than ten dollars at any rate...

Speaking as a West Coaster and a Californian, SHAME ON YOU JIM BECKER!!! Starbucks would never sell the lowly doughnut. You have to order a Persimmon/kumquat Scone or a banana/walnut/eucalyptus low-fat muffin or at LEAST a lite macadamia/pecan brownie with orange zest and Norwegian cinnamon.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 07-02-2006 at 10:39 AM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Figure of speech, Mark...personally, I go for the marble loaf cake with my Venti triple latte...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Starbucks would never sell the lowly doughnut.
    One of 2 reason I don't buy coffee at Starbucks! Don't like their coffee and lack of condiments!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Frank, I think the six dollar suggestion is a good one--the equivalent of one venti latte and donut at StarBucks....
    Sorry but, I'm afraid Satan will be hosting the Stanley Cup before I pay $6.00 for a coffee and donut (or whatever it is they call them at SB's!)! BUT, at the price of gas today, combine just one trip into town (towns are far apart in this area! ) and you've saved enough in gas $$$ to pay the 6 or 10 bucks quite easily. Besides, over the last year or so, I've cut myself back to one cup 'o joe (@10oz mug) in the morning and that's it for the day!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have been out of contact with the real world for three weeks or so and haven't read this entire thread so bear with me. When the funding problem first came up last year a lot of people wanted to donate large sums, but Keith said $10 each would be sufficient for this year and provide a cushion for the start of next. That's why many of us donated only $10 for 2006. It would be nice Keith if you could provide some ballpark numbers for the cost of making the required upgrades and providing Aaron some compensation for his time in 2006 and an operating budget for 2007. That would give the members an idea of what kind of money we need to raise because right now we seem to be operating in the dark. I don't think there is any question that our membership will respond to the need, we just need to have a target to shoot for.
    Dennis

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    I have been out of contact with the real world for three weeks or so and haven't read this entire thread so bear with me. When the funding problem first came up last year a lot of people wanted to donate large sums, but Keith said $10 each would be sufficient for this year and provide a cushion for the start of next. That's why many of us donated only $10 for 2006. It would be nice Keith if you could provide some ballpark numbers for the cost of making the required upgrades and providing Aaron some compensation for his time in 2006 and an operating budget for 2007. That would give the members an idea of what kind of money we need to raise because right now we seem to be operating in the dark. I don't think there is any question that our membership will respond to the need, we just need to have a target to shoot for.
    Welcome back Dennis, and you have a good point.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McClaren
    ...you guys are saving me a lot of time and money...
    Really? This placed has saved me lottsa time but really cost me money*!

It is really great to see the outpouring here...society may not be so bad off afterall! Way to go, Everyone!

* - money well spent however...
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Iced Venti Americano...half caf...sugar free raspberry AND a raisin bran muffin (fiber is important at a certain age).
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Talking Late as usual....

Seems I'm always late, but I'm in for another donation.

This site is the only WW site I frequent and I'm happy to donate!

Cheers,
    -Mike

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weaver
    Seems I'm always late, but I'm in for another donation.

This site is the only WW site I frequent and I'm happy to donate!

Cheers,
    -Mike
    Better, MUCH better late than never Mike!

Cheers!

$25 on its way via Pay Pal.

Paypal $$$ has been sent

I have to agree with some of the others here - this is the ONLY forum that I have had the pleasure of never seeing another member attack or bash others. I was shocked to find so much negativity from woodworkers in other forums. I've never met a woodworker in person that I didn't like!

I treat The Creek as a spot to go when I want / need a break from the shop and it's my relaxing place...never a stressful or problematic spot.

I am happy to send money and have added a reminder to my calendar for next year. I've learned a bunch just reading posts and have always had good responses to my questions.

Thanks to all that make this a great place to hang my hat!
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Contribution sent

chip

Keith,
    You and SMC need money. Understandably it is hard for you to bring the subject up. When you do, you get an "outpouring" of funds and this may be enough for the moment. I suggest you take a stronger approach. Send out an email to each and every member and do it once a year. It is a slightly more aggressive approach but I think a good one. Here's the problem, a lot of people come here and go right by the stickies. It is much harder to go by an email sent from SMC simply saying "we need your help..." or "it's time to contrbute..." It doesnt need to be forceful. Some of the people who dont pay now will not pay then either. This plan will get all those people who are not aware of the need or were aware of it a year ago but not now.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

15. Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas
    ........................This plan will get all those people who are not aware of the need or were aware of it a year ago but not now.
    ....or are like me and just forget, as I'm having such a good time here

I agree with John, great idea, Keith, you guys should do this.

Cheers!