Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Blank Page Issue Is Intolerable - Let's Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Speaking as a West Coaster and a Californian, SHAME ON YOU JIM BECKER!!! Starbucks would never sell the lowly doughnut. You have to order a Persimmon/kumquat Scone or a banana/walnut/eucalyptus low-fat muffin or at LEAST a lite macadamia/pecan brownie with orange zest and Norwegian cinnamon.
    I'll have just coffee, please. And a doughnut. None of that fancy schmancy foo foo poo poo . And, I'll be sending in a contribution, too. Can't think of a better way to spend my money!

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Horton; 07-23-2006 at 8:10 PM.
    It ain't quite rocket science, but sometimes it sure feels like it!

2. Quote Originally Posted by chip hamblin
    Contribution sent

chip
    Agreed.

Lease a server in a proper data center. Check out 1and1.com for package deals. Go with a managed server and you wouldn't need Aaron at all.

Go with their "Managed Server 1" for $109 a month. It's enough horsepower to run 50 vbulletin websites and you get 1000GB of transfer a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fancher
    Lease a server in a proper data center. Check out 1and1.com for package deals. Go with a managed server and you wouldn't need Aaron at all.

Go with their "Managed Server 1" for $109 a month. It's enough horsepower to run 50 vbulletin websites and you get 1000GB of transfer a month.

Yeah, that's exactly what we'll do. Create even MORE barriers to have to cut through in order to adminster our site. I've had a fill of "managed" deals, heck, Cox even "managed" to screw up our DNS 4 times--and their 24x7 call center was useless.

You cannot run a large forum on shared hosting.. You won't find a server that will run 50 vBulletin websites--unless they have no traffic, and I wouldn't dream of putting this database on a 40GB IDE drive.

I've seen too many horror stories about 1and1, too. Don't forget we (SawmillCreek, owned by Hampton Roads Online) were an ISP in business for 10 years.

$109 will NOT buy the setup we have now, even with any bandwidth issues we might have from time to time.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Hey Aaron, we're paying you the big bucks now to run this show for us. You take care of it the way YOU see fit. You are our IT hero.

Come to think of it, maybe we all should have payed for Jackie to include an extra couple of shirts for you in the order. She could have had them put something on it like, "Official SMC Super IT Guy"................well.....maybe not quite like that but something special on it................heck..nevermind...............

Aaron, you just keep taking care of us the way you are and the way you want to and I thank you very much for doing it.

And we'll just let you buy your own shirts.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Hey Aaron, we're paying you the big bucks now to run this show for us. You take care of it the way YOU see fit. You are our IT hero.

Come to think of it, maybe we all should have payed for Jackie to include an extra couple of shirts for you in the order. She could have had them put something on it like, "Official SMC Super IT Guy"................well.....maybe not quite like that but something special on it................heck..nevermind...............

Aaron, you just keep taking care of us the way you are and the way you want to and I thank you very much for doing it.

And we'll just let you buy your own shirts.
    Yeah!!! What Mark said!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Gee, you go to Greece for 6 weeks and you miss everything. I saw the post about the intolerable blank pages the last couple of weeks, but didn't think it was a money problem. Asleep at the wheel again. Well, I'll get off a PayPal today.

The problem was the title of the post. I think most were like me, didn't know what it was about, and I tend to keep away from the technical stuff. We should have a post with a subtle message. Something like "WE NEED MONEY!!"

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

NO - to advertising

YES - to finding a way to pay the sys. adm.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Pardon me if these have already been discussed...
    1. Voluntary dues (ala PBS, mimf.com)?
    2. As much as I like FreeStuff, perhaps auction it off instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Schultz
    Pardon me if these have already been discussed...
    1. Voluntary dues (ala PBS, mimf.com)?
    2. As much as I like FreeStuff, perhaps auction it off instead?
    along the same lines eithr a charge for classifieds or a suggested volantary contribution scale

(for exampe if you sell a 100 item a 5 donation is suggested etc ... )

Seems like it's doing it again.....

The dreaded BPS (blank page syndrome)

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 08-11-2006 at 4:08 AM.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Seems like it's doing it again.....

The dreaded BPS (blank page syndrome)

Brian
    Getting it again this morning as well.